• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this entrapment? Can I sue?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

143flyers

New Jersey

There was an ambulance blocking my parking space in the lot where I live. Police are dispatched every time an ambulance is sent to a home here. The police officer pulled in behind my car and for no reason ran my tags in the private parking lot where I live. Waited for me to come back to my car, followed me a mile & 1/2 then pulled me over, ticketed me & towed my car.

I feel this was entrapment. As long as I was in my parking lot, he could have informed me that my registration was expired. I registered the car in October 2011 and the registration expired in December 2011 (I never received notification that the registration had to be renewed 2 months after registering the vehicle). I was also so nervous that I couldn't find my insurance card (he said "I know the car is insured, but here is a ticket anyway.)

I'm more annoyed about the $200 in towing & impound fees than I am about the fact that I got a ticket.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
New Jersey

There was an ambulance blocking my parking space in the lot where I live. Police are dispatched every time an ambulance is sent to a home here. The police officer pulled in behind my car and for no reason ran my tags in the private parking lot where I live. Waited for me to come back to my car, followed me a mile & 1/2 then pulled me over, ticketed me & towed my car.

I feel this was entrapment. As long as I was in my parking lot, he could have informed me that my registration was expired. I registered the car in October 2011 and the registration expired in December 2011 (I never received notification that the registration had to be renewed 2 months after registering the vehicle). I was also so nervous that I couldn't find my insurance card (he said "I know the car is insured, but here is a ticket anyway.)

I'm more annoyed about the $200 in towing & impound fees than I am about the fact that I got a ticket.
What did the officer do to encourage and/or entice you to break the law?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
As long as I was in my parking lot, he could have informed me that my registration was expired.
Obviously he could have. But he doesn't have to. There is no legal requirement that you be given any kind of a break.

(I never received notification that the registration had to be renewed 2 months after registering the vehicle).
You mean besides the fact that the EXPIRATION DATE is clearly printed on your registration?

Antigone*

New Jersey

Was the cop supposed to pay for your registration? Because if that is the case and he didn't THEN he pulled you over you have a case.

If not, then it sucks to be you because you had an epic fail.

FlyingRon

Cops are allowed to follow people around to see if they will break the law. He might have given you the benefit of the doubt that you weren't going to drive the car on the public roads with that expired registration.

It's not entrapment in the least bit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">