+ Reply to Thread
    143flyers is offline Junior Member

Is this entrapment? Can I sue?

New Jersey

There was an ambulance blocking my parking space in the lot where I live. Police are dispatched every time an ambulance is sent to a home here. The police officer pulled in behind my car and for no reason ran my tags in the private parking lot where I live. Waited for me to come back to my car, followed me a mile & 1/2 then pulled me over, ticketed me & towed my car.

I feel this was entrapment. As long as I was in my parking lot, he could have informed me that my registration was expired. I registered the car in October 2011 and the registration expired in December 2011 (I never received notification that the registration had to be renewed 2 months after registering the vehicle). I was also so nervous that I couldn't find my insurance card (he said "I know the car is insured, but here is a ticket anyway.)

I'm more annoyed about the $200 in towing & impound fees than I am about the fact that I got a ticket.
    Zigner is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 143flyers View Post
    New Jersey

There was an ambulance blocking my parking space in the lot where I live. Police are dispatched every time an ambulance is sent to a home here. The police officer pulled in behind my car and for no reason ran my tags in the private parking lot where I live. Waited for me to come back to my car, followed me a mile & 1/2 then pulled me over, ticketed me & towed my car.

I feel this was entrapment. As long as I was in my parking lot, he could have informed me that my registration was expired. I registered the car in October 2011 and the registration expired in December 2011 (I never received notification that the registration had to be renewed 2 months after registering the vehicle). I was also so nervous that I couldn't find my insurance card (he said "I know the car is insured, but here is a ticket anyway.)

I'm more annoyed about the $200 in towing & impound fees than I am about the fact that I got a ticket.
    What did the officer do to encourage and/or entice you to break the law?
    HighwayMan is offline Senior Member
    As long as I was in my parking lot, he could have informed me that my registration was expired.
    Obviously he could have. But he doesn't have to. There is no legal requirement that you be given any kind of a break.

(I never received notification that the registration had to be renewed 2 months after registering the vehicle).
    You mean besides the fact that the EXPIRATION DATE is clearly printed on your registration?
    Antigone* is offline Senior Member
    In honor of JetX ~ Somnambulist University
    New Jersey

Was the cop supposed to pay for your registration? Because if that is the case and he didn't THEN he pulled you over you have a case.

If not, then it sucks to be you because you had an epic fail.
    HomeGuru is offline Senior Member
    Yes, entrapment so sue for $1.2 million.
    FlyingRon is offline Senior Member
    Cops are allowed to follow people around to see if they will break the law. He might have given you the benefit of the doubt that you weren't going to drive the car on the public roads with that expired registration.

It's not entrapment in the least bit.