What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California
My wife's ex had court ordered possession of a car that was registered in her name, and he maliciously parked it in a handicap space so that it would get impounded.
Until last night, we believed the rumor that he had sold it for scrape. The property settlement is still not finalized, so the title was not officially transferred. The Ex has been renewing the registration and receiving all the mail from the DMV, Police and Courts - so we had no clue what was going on (we now live in Oregon). She did not sign over the title earlier because he has already liquidated all the other joint property (401K, etc) and is $25K in arrears on child support. He has repeatedly lied in court, and we expect more of the same with this matter.
Here is the evidence we have collected so far. How should we use it, and what else do we need?
• A year ago, he sent us a transfer of title - which he signed and dated before this prank.
• He has been pressuring us to sign and return them (He still drives the 2nd car, one in my wife's name and the other in both names).
• Last week, we sent him the papers via certified mail, and his roommate signed the receipt.
• We have a recent phone message and emails of him demanding the titles.
• We kept the top copies, but there is a small problem with one of the dates.
• We also have witnesses that heard the Ex brag about what he did (the same person who recently warned us).
• We also know who gave him a ride home after the prank (his 2nd wife - who is now also divorced, but does not want to attract any trouble).
• We never had the opportunity to drive the car - he has had sole possession since the separation.
• The ex was convicted or spousal abuse and there was a restraining order when this happened.
What do we do to get this cleared up and hopefully, get him in trouble. (He has successfully manipulated the California court system so far, so we expect an uphill battle.)