• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expired inspection sticker ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bobylafleur

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

My car had an expired inspection sticker. Yesterday August 4, while I had the car parked on the street, I received a violation for the sticker. Two days earlier I had made an appointment to get it inspected and the car had not move from where it was parked fearing to get pull over by a cop. I finally got it inspected the same day I received the the ticket.

Please I would like to know if this will have an impact on my insurance premium? And how can I appeal the violation?

Thank!

Mass_Shyster

I suspect that you were cited for a town or city ordinance. The Commonwealth does not require inspection stickers on parked cars. Since it's not a moving violation, it should not affect your insurance.

The instructions to contest the ticket should be on the back.

It's probably not worth the effort to contest it.

But... Sometimes the clerk magistrate will find you not responsible if it's fixed the same day.

davew128

I suspect that you were cited for a town or city ordinance. The Commonwealth does not require inspection stickers on parked cars. Since it's not a moving violation, it should not affect your insurance.

The instructions to contest the ticket should be on the back.

It's probably not worth the effort to contest it.

But... Sometimes the clerk magistrate will find you not responsible if it's fixed the same day.
An expired inspection sticker is a moving violation and WILL be a surchargeable event in MA if it was issued by a cop and not a meter maid.

Mass_Shyster

An expired inspection sticker is a moving violation and WILL be a surchargeable event in MA if it was issued by a cop and not a meter maid.
Not when it's a parking violation

from the City of Attleboro Parking FAQ:

14. Even if I am otherwise parked legally, can I still receive a parking ticket for having an expired registration plate sticker and/or an expired inspection sticker?

Yes. Pursuant to City Ordinance 10-5.1, “Parking of an unregistered motor vehicle or a motor vehicle without a valid inspection sticker on the public streets, or within any municipally owned parking area, will be in violation of the City of Attleboro and subject to a parking fine.”

Mass_Shyster

You DID read the part where I distinguished between a cop and a meter maid, right? :rolleyes:
I saw it, but I just assumed that you are ignorant of the fact that police officers in Massachusetts ARE authorized to issue parking tickets as well as moving violations.

davew128

I saw it, but I just assumed that you are ignorant of the fact that police officers in Massachusetts ARE authorized to issue parking tickets as well as moving violations.
I lived in Massachusetts for a few decades. You should apologize for your incorrect assumption.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">