• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expired inspection ticket - online hearing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TerminallyOdd

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I don't drive very much at all, and given our recent weather in the Northeast, my car has kind of just been sitting there parked on the street - with a recently expired inspection sticker (expired Feb. 1st). Tried rocking it out it a few times, but again, the car is mostly just for convenience, so not much effort was put into freeing it from being basically plowed in. Tried again tonight on my way in from work tonight, and notice a ticket on the ground for an expired inspection, issued on Feb. 6th. Guess it being covered in snow and clearly not moved made it an obvious target.

Anyway, my plan is to renew the inspection on Saturday. If that is done, can I dispute the ticket online and submit proof of a receipt/new sticker with a not-guilty plea? Or is that a bad idea? I did a little research online and some have had luck going to court to fight the ticket, but I'm not sure $65 is worth having to deal with attending a hearing in person. Thanks in advance.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I don't drive very much at all, and given our recent weather in the Northeast, my car has kind of just been sitting there parked on the street - with a recently expired inspection sticker (expired Feb. 1st). Tried rocking it out it a few times, but again, the car is mostly just for convenience, so not much effort was put into freeing it from being basically plowed in. Tried again tonight on my way in from work tonight, and notice a ticket on the ground for an expired inspection, issued on Feb. 6th. Guess it being covered in snow and clearly not moved made it an obvious target.

Anyway, my plan is to renew the inspection on Saturday. If that is done, can I dispute the ticket online and submit proof of a receipt/new sticker with a not-guilty plea? Or is that a bad idea? I did a little research online and some have had luck going to court to fight the ticket, but I'm not sure $65 is worth having to deal with attending a hearing in person. Thanks in advance.
Personally, I would pay the ticket and move on. You didn't get it inspected when you should have...

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Is this New York City?

Getting it inspected after the fact will get you nowhere. You will be adjudicated "guilty" if that's your plan.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">