• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expired inspection ticket out of state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drig

What is the name of your state? New York

A recent trip took me from New York to Philadelphia for about 2 weeks. While in Philadelphia, my New York State inspection expired and I was given a ticket for it. Can a citation be legally issued in Pennsylvania for an expired New York inspection or is it a stretch to attempt to penilize / enforce a traffic law of another state?
Thanks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Q: Can a citation be legally issued in Pennsylvania for an expired New York inspection

A: Yes

drig

It is illegal in any state to have a car in public that is not registered. What makes you think it would be otherwise?
I am referring to the inspection, not the registration of the vehicle. They are not synonymous. The vehicle's registration expired while in Philly, without the possibility of renewing it while in Philly. The vehicle has since passed inspection without any problems (in NY).

xylene

The vehicle's registration expired while in Philly, without the possibility of renewing it while in Philly.
No relevant, and not a defense

The vehicle has since passed inspection without any problems (in NY).
Not relevant and not a defense (even if in NY)

or is it a stretch to attempt to penilize / enforce a traffic law of another state?
This often comes up with the front plate issue. For instance a NY motorist came on here wanting to contest an "improper display of license plate" for not having a front plate in Delaware. Please note Delaware only requires rear plate.

That poster's ticket is valid, as is your ticket, because the police of another state can enforce the compliance with your states regulations. It is called reciprocity.

In your case, you did not have an unexpired inspection sticker, a requirement for lawful motoring, or even parking upon the public street.

While such a ticket is perhaps pedantic, it is lawful, and the fact that you had few recourses to comply (tow to ny or sell car.. :confused: ) doesn't change much.

Good luck.

drig

No relevant, and not a defense

Not relevant and not a defense (even if in NY)

This often comes up with the front plate issue. For instance a NY motorist came on here wanting to contest an "improper display of license plate" for not having a front plate in Delaware. Please note Delaware only requires rear plate.

That poster's ticket is valid, as is your ticket, because the police of another state can enforce the compliance with your states regulations. It is called reciprocity.

In your case, you did not have an unexpired inspection sticker, a requirement for lawful motoring, or even parking upon the public street.

While such a ticket is perhaps pedantic, it is lawful, and the fact that you had few recourses to comply (tow to ny or sell car.. :confused: ) doesn't change much.

Good luck.
My fault totally; I already paid the summons. Just thought I might get a little break being out od state. Anyway, thanks for your input.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">