• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expired NJ registration in FL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

musicalltheway2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I have NJ registration and plates on my car that expired 5 years ago. I live in Florida. I can't afford the $500 to register my car in Florida. How much trouble am I going to get into if I get pulled over? Can I get arrested?

FlyingRon

The first time you get caught you'll get a non moving violation plus you'll have to pay all the taxes and two years of back registration, etc.... The second offense is a second degree misdemeanor (yes you can be arrested and jailed).

You are also going to be in a world of hurt if you get in an accident because I bet you do not have valid insurance.

If you can't afford insurance and plates, you can't afford to drive PERIOD.

Your car can be impounded as well.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I would say loss of your car would be very high on the list of possibilities.

With all the charges you're looking at the cost would be a lot higher than the $500 you say you can't afford.

If you can't afford to drive your car legally then get rid of it or put it in storage until you can afford it.

Maybe you should have stayed in New Jersey if Florida is too expensive.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">