• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expired Registration out of state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

natven

Hi,

I've an odd situation, I just moved to NC from RI. I applied for new DL last week, I was told it would take 10 days to get it(between now & 10/03). I failed to notice that my RI car registration expires by the end of this month(09/30). I don't think I'll get NC DL before that.

NC DMV told me they don't do registration with temporary DL certificate. I'm no longer RI resident, but apparently RI DMV website does allow me to renew the registration online.

I'll get my NC license may be 09/30 or definitely before 10/05, which means I can register the car within 5 days of expired RI registration sticker. I went to NC DMV office, they told me that NC registration will be allowed with upto 60 days of expired out of state registration, but with notary & other fees it costs close to $250. So they asked me to call RI DMV to get a possible temporary registration tag. So I called RI DMV, this is what I was told: I can't renew the registration online and they asked me to contact NC DMV.

It's going to be only few days after registration expiration if I don't get the license by this Friday, but if I get the license before this Friday I can complete NC registration by this Friday(09/30). If not I'm not sure what to do.,any suggestions/help is deeply appreciated.. Thanks!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Hi,

I've an odd situation, I just moved to NC from RI. I applied for new DL last week, I was told it would take 10 days to get it(between now & 10/03). I failed to notice that my RI car registration expires by the end of this month(09/30). I don't think I'll get NC DL before that.

NC DMV told me they don't do registration with temporary DL certificate. I'm no longer RI resident, but apparently RI DMV website does allow me to renew the registration online.

I'll get my NC license may be 09/30 or definitely before 10/05, which means I can register the car within 5 days of expired RI registration sticker. I went to NC DMV office, they told me that NC registration will be allowed with upto 60 days of expired out of state registration, but with notary & other fees it costs close to $250. So they asked me to call RI DMV to get a possible temporary registration tag. So I called RI DMV, this is what I was told: I can't renew the registration online and they asked me to contact NC DMV.

It's going to be only few days after registration expiration if I don't get the license by this Friday, but if I get the license before this Friday I can complete NC registration by this Friday(09/30). If not I'm not sure what to do.,any suggestions/help is deeply appreciated.. Thanks!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
You should not even need a DL...you just need proof that you live in RI. You can own a car and not drive.

http://www.dmv.ri.gov/documents/forms/registration/TR-1.pdf shows:

 TR-1 form
 Insurance Information (valid
RI insurance)
 Title – copy of title if financed
or leased (if model year of
vehicle is less than 11 years
old)
 VIN check (if model year is
less than 11 years old)
 Tax exempt card
 Tax questionnaire (Bill of
Sale, if applicable)
 RI license or identification
card (if out-of-state license is
presented, proof of residency
is additionally required)
 Proof of Ownership (nontitled
vehicles)
 Power of Attorney

So you only need a proof of residency instead of DL .. your NC DL is proof of ID, so all you need is a proof of your residence ... what docs do you have for that (US Mail, etc...)

This page also says same: State of Rhode Island: Division of Motor Vehicles: Frequently Asked Questions

This shows you proof of residency documents (bring as many as possible):

http://www.dmv.ri.gov/documents/forms/fillable/WhatToBringReg.pdf

from that:

Proof of Residency
Within 60 Days
 Utility bill (gas, electric, telephone, cable, oil) in your
name or in the name of an immediate family member
with the same last name.
 Personal check or bank statement with your name and
address (no P.O. box).
 Payroll check with your name and address.
 Welfare check stub or food stamp card or RI EBT Card
with your name and address.
Within Valid Effective Dates
 Insurance policy for your home/apartment with your
name and address.
 Property tax bill for your residence.
 If a minor, school records, which include the student’s
address and are for the current school year (or past
year if during summer vacation). Acceptable records
include a report card, diploma, transcript or ID card,
together with parent's license/ID with same address.
 Valid Voter Registration Card
Within 30 Days
 Letter from Rhode Island shelter or halfway house
indicating that applicant resides there. Such a letter
must be on letterhead, must be dated within
presentation and must include name and contact
information of an administrator of the shelter or halfway
house.

Proof of Residency
Within 60 Days
 Utility bill (gas, electric, telephone, cable, oil) in your
name or in the name of an immediate family member
with the same last name.
 Personal check or bank statement with your name and
address (no P.O. box).
 Payroll check with your name and address.
 Welfare check stub or food stamp card or RI EBT Card
with your name and address.
Within Valid Effective Dates
 Insurance policy for your home/apartment with your
name and address.
 Property tax bill for your residence.
 If a minor, school records, which include the student’s
address and are for the current school year (or past
year if during summer vacation). Acceptable records
include a report card, diploma, transcript or ID card,
together with parent's license/ID with same address.
 Valid Voter Registration Card
Within 30 Days
 Letter from Rhode Island shelter or halfway house
indicating that applicant resides there. Such a letter
must be on letterhead, must be dated within
presentation and must include name and contact
information of an administrator of the shelter or halfway
house.

Above are proof of residency

from: http://www.dmv.ri.gov/documents/forms/fillable/WhatToBringReg.pdf

FlyingRon

You were told wrong. There's no requirement you have an NC license to get your car registered. What you have to do is go (and bring cash or a check because I learned the hard way that they don't do credit cards here) to a NC license plate agency (and expect to waste some time, this scheme is the most poor service, corrupt thing I've seen in six states I've registered cars in).

Once you have an NC driver's license you can bypass the dumbass agencies and go direct online.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">