• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

expired registration ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pgb205

NYS.

I received two tickets for expired registration sticker. I would like to contest this but don't know what would be considered a proof. The sticker was sent to me by my insurance company. So should I peel this sticker and make a photocopy and send it in? or would some other document suffice?

At the same time I received two separate tickets for expired inspection sticker, which is true as I forgot to do inspection. They were given out in a course of two days. I haven't visited my car in this period of time and the tickets indicate that the address of violation is the same. I'm not sure if this would be enough to prove that I haven't been around my vehicle. I don't see how else I would prove that I haven't seen the first ticket.

thanks in advance for all the advise.

You Are Guilty

NYS.

I received two tickets for expired registration sticker. I would like to contest this but don't know what would be considered a proof. The sticker was sent to me by my insurance company. So should I peel this sticker and make a photocopy and send it in? or would some other document suffice?

At the same time I received two separate tickets for expired inspection sticker, which is true as I forgot to do inspection. They were given out in a course of two days. I haven't visited my car in this period of time and the tickets indicate that the address of violation is the same. I'm not sure if this would be enough to prove that I haven't been around my vehicle. I don't see how else I would prove that I haven't seen the first ticket.

thanks in advance for all the advise.
Re: Registration
Since the required stickers are not sent to you by the insurance company, this is not a defense. It is still your responsibility to make sure you get a new one before the old one expires.

Re: Insurance
You can try to contest the second ticket on these grounds, but it is a separate offense, so you probably have a 50-50 shot of success, at best.

pgb205

Re: Registration
Since the required stickers are not sent to you by the insurance company, this is not a defense. It is still your responsibility to make sure you get a new one before the old one expires.

Re: Insurance
You can try to contest the second ticket on these grounds, but it is a separate offense, so you probably have a 50-50 shot of success, at best.
ok. whoever sent me the vehicle registration sticker I had it. So what evidence would I need to submit my mail? Should I just peel the sticker off the window and make a photocopy? Basically how would I prove that the vehicle was registered at the time I received the ticket?

asiny

ok. whoever sent me the vehicle registration sticker I had it. So what evidence would I need to submit my mail? Should I just peel the sticker off the window and make a photocopy? Basically how would I prove that the vehicle was registered at the time I received the ticket?
Goto the DMV and get them to verify your registration was current and valid with your vehicle registration card- then goto the court, or submit by mail if possible, your NOT GUILTY with the evidence.

You Are Guilty

I see I was not clear. The ticket is for not properly "displaying" the registration. It is not a ticket for not "having" the sticker somewhere in your possession. If you have it in your glovebox when you get the ticket, the ticket is still valid.

That said, if you did have the sticker and just forgot to put it on, some judges will be sympathetic. You would need to submit a copy of your paper registration (the little square from the DMV) that shows the date your registration was effective, along with your Not Guilty plea.

Whether it will actually get you out of the ticket is anyone's guess.

commentator

In the area where I live, it is impossible to do the yearly renewal of the auto registration unless you submit proof of the auto emissions test.

How could you have neglected this, and yet had received the renewal sticker from the county clerk? Do you mean you had received the form to renew, but had not yet done the renewal? Or you had not only received the form to remind you to renew, (which most counties send out as a courtesy)but you had sent in the money and the paperwork necessary to renew and had received the sticker and all you had to do was put it on the plate?

I suspect that if you go in to court, having proof that you have now completed the registration and are current on all required inspections and stickers, and say in court that it was an error which you have now corrected, they might be lenient with you, but keyword is might. They don't have to.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
In the area where I live, it is impossible to do the yearly renewal of the auto registration unless you submit proof of the auto emissions test.
This is not where you live. It's New York State.

And it may help to know where in NYS this is.

...yet had received the renewal sticker from the county clerk? Do you mean you had received the form to renew, but had not yet done the renewal?...you had to do was put it on the plate?
Why are you even commenting on this? You have no idea how things work in New York. There is no "county clerk" - all motor vehicle matters are handled by DMV. And there are no plate stickers - New York has windshield stickers.

HighwayMan

Goto the DMV and get them to verify your registration was current and valid with your vehicle registration card
That is totally unnecessary. That information is available on the registration receipt (not a card).

HighwayMan

NYS.

I received two tickets for expired registration sticker.
First of all, where did this occur and what is the actual charge? Seems that you ARE guilty of having an expired sticker. You didn't actually say if your registration itself was current.

Only the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles sends out registration stickers. If you got one from somewhere else then there is a problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">