• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expired Registration Ticket while parked in my Driveway in Florida (Broward county)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Guest357

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida (Broward county)

Can an expired tag ticket be thrown out if an officer came on to your property/driveway late at night (around 10pm) and gave the ticket? My license plate sits under my bumper on my Jeep, so you have to actually get right up to the bumper and then down on your knees to see under the bumper where the tag date is visible. He would need to come on to my property with a flashlight and get up under my bumper just to see it.

It was the beginning of January and my tag expired end of December. I hadn't renewed them because I was unemployed and out of money. I started a new job, but I am still behind on all my bills (mortgage, electricity, water, cable/internet, car payment/insurance, etc). I had to borrow money from a friend when I saw the ticket the next day. But I couldn't borrow enough to pay the fine as well. And since I didn't have $100+ dollars to pay this citation, I contested it and sent it back in.

Now I have to show up to a hearing on Feb 20th to explain my reason for contesting this. I've already received a late fee attached to the original fine fee as well. I still haven't received my first paycheck from my new job, but when I do I have all the above bills to pay just to keep my day-to-day needs afloat. I understand it was expired, but what is a person to do when they are without a job and without unemployment compensation? I had absolutely no income and no money saved to dip into.

It says I can send in an affidavit explaining my side instead of showing up, but I was just curious if I have anything on my side to even contest it and win other than the police officer coming on to my property late at night to look at my tags and issue the ticket. Also, this is in a neighborhood on a cul-de-sac, so it's pretty obvious he was purposely out looking for vehicles to ticket when the owners were inside or asleep and couldn't interact with him.

Thanks in advance,

Jon

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

Most places allow vehicles to be ticket for not being registered, even in your driveway. Laws are designed to prevent people from collecting junk cars, however, can catch people simply storing a car for the winter. Usually, if the vehicle is covered by a tarp, they are not permitted to lift the tarp to verify registration is current.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Broward County doesn't allow inoperable vehicles to be left sitting in your driveway. Your vehicle cannot be legally operated - thus, it is inoperable.

http://www.broward.org/PermittingAndLicensing/CommunityCode/FAQs/Pages/InoperableVehicles.aspx

davew128

Broward County doesn't allow inoperable vehicles to be left sitting in your driveway. Your vehicle cannot be legally operated - thus, it is inoperable.

http://www.broward.org/PermittingAndLicensing/CommunityCode/FAQs/Pages/InoperableVehicles.aspx
Yet OP's car doesn't indicate any of the listed characteristics of an inoperable vehicle from that site.

Zigner

Yet OP's car doesn't indicate any of the listed characteristics of an inoperable vehicle from that site.
Since I don't have the OP's city, I couldn't dig deeper than that...but even there, they use the qualifier "usually" ;)

davew128

Since I don't have the OP's city, I couldn't dig deeper than that...but even there, they use the qualifier "usually" ;)
I would tend to lean towards the condition of the vehicle of being inoperable rather than its registration status meaning the same.

Zigner

I would tend to lean towards the condition of the vehicle of being inoperable rather than its registration status meaning the same.
I would disagree - but I think we need more information from the OP.

To the OP, what, EXACTLY, were you cited for? Is it a municipal ordinance? A county ordinance? Or a violation of state law?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">