• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expired Tabs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hbobier

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

Is there any way to get an expired tabs ticket forgiven? I was out running errands today and came back to a $111 ticket on my car. I'll admit it was an honest mistake, I completely forgot about it. So yes, it is a valid ticket and yes, my tabs definitely are expired, but I'm a hard-working Minnesota citizen and that is a lot of money for a little mistake. I had heard a rumor that if you buy the tabs within 24 hours then the ticket gets forgiven? Is that legit or did someone make that up? Honestly, I'm a good citizen and it was a simple mistake it's just a lot of money in this economy.

Some DAs and judges will forgive ... some won't. Check your state & see if this is a fixable ticket (likely not).

The best you can do is contest it & see what happens before/after trial. Decide if you wish to truly contest the case or are there just to be forgiven.

I normally don't take the forgive-me route. They just want $$$ from us travelers.

Remember, they still have to prove you guilty ... you don't have to testify or answer questions at all if you don't wish to present a case & just attack the DAs case presentation.

CSO286

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

Is there any way to get an expired tabs ticket forgiven? I was out running errands today and came back to a $111 ticket on my car. I'll admit it was an honest mistake, I completely forgot about it. So yes, it is a valid ticket and yes, my tabs definitely are expired, but I'm a hard-working Minnesota citizen and that is a lot of money for a little mistake. I had heard a rumor that if you buy the tabs within 24 hours then the ticket gets forgiven? Is that legit or did someone make that up? Honestly, I'm a good citizen and it was a simple mistake it's just a lot of money in this economy.
I'm in MN, too.

You will be hard pressed to get the ticket forgiven. For the very reason you say it's hard for you to pay it--money.

The county and state coffers are drying up and they will hold out for every possible dime. You can always ask, but will be unlikely.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Remember, they still have to prove you guilty ... you don't have to testify or answer questions at all if you don't wish to present a case & just attack the DAs case presentation.
Helloooo McFly!

If the OP takes this to court in the manner you suggest, s/he WILL lose. Why? Because the state HAS proof that the tab was expired. DUH! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">