• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expired Tabs Ticket-Car just purchased...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

senixon

What is the name of your state? - WA

I was pulled over today and given a citation for expired tabs. In my defense I have just purchased this vehicle from another state (TX) and still awaiting my title which was suppose to come before end of July (today is Aug 2). The temporary plates given by the dealer expired yesterday Aug 01. I tried to explain this to the officer, but he was a complete jerk about it and issued a ticket anyways. I have contacted the dealer about the title and was told that it was sent out. The ticket issues was Seattle Municipal Code SMC:11.22.080.3 -- I have a TX license plates on the car right now which apparently expired 2 years ago. Since Texas plates don't have stickers indicating expiration month/year, I had no idea, nor do I really care since I'm planning on registering the car in my state as soon as I get the title.

I have to drive the car in order to get to work and feel like I'm stuck in paper bureaucracy, I'm planning on contesting it and obviously it's up to the judge, but can anyone tell me if the court would buy my story? Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

The Occultist

Please do not call somebody a jerk for doing their job. The officer has no way of knowing if you're full of it. If you're in the right then you'll have no problem in court, so do NOT call the officer a jerk for it.

Other than the fact that you're just being rude and I don't like it, you should also know that one of the more knowledgeable people on this site is indeed an officer. I'm sure through the years he has gotten use to verbal abuse from ignorant people like you, but that doesn't mean he's gonna be your best friend just because you asked for help on this site.

As for your actual question, you're asking a question only a psychic would know the answer to. The judge might, and he might not. The point is, your vehicle is currently not registered, and that is a crime. Good luck.

senixon

The Occultist said:
Please do not call somebody a jerk for doing their job. The officer has no way of knowing if you're full of it. If you're in the right then you'll have no problem in court, so do NOT call the officer a jerk for it.
You obviously did not read my post carefully, I didn't call the officer a jerk for doing his job, what I said was I tried explaining the situation to the officer and he was a jerk about it, as in making comments he didn't need to, etc. You weren't even there so why are you defending him? You sound a like a P.O. your self, no offence but I would like an UNBIAST opinion, preferably from someone in the legal services like a paralegal or a lawyer or someone working in a court.
The Occultist said:
Other than the fact that you're just being rude and I don't like it, you should also know that one of the more knowledgeable people on this site is indeed an officer. I'm sure through the years he has gotten use to verbal abuse from ignorant people like you, but that doesn't mean he's gonna be your best friend just because you asked for help on this site.

As for your actual question, you're asking a question only a psychic would know the answer to. The judge might, and he might not. The point is, your vehicle is currently not registered, and that is a crime. Good luck.
Why did you even bother replying, I did not post this so I can get another lecture and if you have nothing to say it's better you say nothing at all.

xylene

senixon said:
What is the name of your state? - WA

I was pulled over today and given a citation for expired tabs. In my defense I have just purchased this vehicle from another state (TX) and still awaiting my title which was suppose to come before end of July (today is Aug 2). The temporary plates given by the dealer expired yesterday Aug 01. I tried to explain this to the officer, but he was a complete jerk about it and issued a ticket anyways. I have contacted the dealer about the title and was told that it was sent out. The ticket issues was Seattle Municipal Code SMC:11.22.080.3 -- I have a TX license plates on the car right now which apparently expired 2 years ago. Since Texas plates don't have stickers indicating expiration month/year, I had no idea, nor do I really care since I'm planning on registering the car in my state as soon as I get the title.

I have to drive the car in order to get to work and feel like I'm stuck in paper bureaucracy, I'm planning on contesting it and obviously it's up to the judge, but can anyone tell me if the court would buy my story? Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.
How did a texas dealer give you temporary plates for washington?

What do you mean waiting for the title? You don't have proof of ownership of your car? :eek:

Why do you still have the FORMER OWNERS license plate and registration?

senixon

xylene said:
How did a texas dealer give you temporary plates for washington?
It's a Texas temporary (paper) plate, not Washington.
xylene said:
What do you mean waiting for the title? You don't have proof of ownership of your car? :eek:
When was the last time you purchased a car from a dealership? The title is not issues on the spot. Of course I have proof of ownership, however it's not a title and not enough to register a car in my state.
xylene said:
Why do you still have the FORMER OWNERS license plate and registration?
I only have the plates that were on the car, not former owner's registration, just didn't bother removing the plates.

xylene

senixon said:
It's a Texas temporary (paper) plate, not Washington.
When was the last time you purchased a car from a dealership? The title is not issues on the spot. Of course I have proof of ownership, however it's not a title and not enough to register a car in my state.
I only have the plates that were on the car, not former owner's registration, just didn't bother removing the plates.
I always expect to recieve the title of a motor vehicle, and I usually do. I have had ONE TIME when the dealer had no title, but it was fine as the dealer has the appropriate proof for the state I intended to title and register the car in that they have applied for a title. It just makes it easy on myself that way.

So you are waiting for a Texas Title from the Texas DMV?

I don't understand why you have the former owners license plate on the car. Sorry. That just makes no sense.

Your temporary tags (from another state) expired and you got nailed.

Don't drive the car till you can register it. DMV stuff sucks.

Ask me when was the last time I bought a car out of state from a non-adjecent state. Hint: Its never.

senixon

xylene said:
I always expect to recieve the title of a motor vehicle, and I usually do. I have had ONE TIME when the dealer had no title, but it was fine as the dealer has the appropriate proof for the state I intended to title and register the car in that they have applied for a title. It just makes it easy on myself that way.

So you are waiting for a Texas Title from the Texas DMV?

I don't understand why you have the former owners license plate on the car. Sorry. That just makes no sense.

Your temporary tags (from another state) expired and you got nailed.

Ask me when was the last time I bought a car out of state from a non-adjecent state. Hint: Its never.
Correct, waiting for the title from Texas DMV.

About the license plate - what can I tell you, it was on the car, I didn't take it off - don't really see what doesn't make sense here, If I was able to get plates I would have, but w/o the title I can't.

I know how it should be in a perfect world, but I don't have a money tree in my back yard, so taking the cab to work or renting a car is not a good solution for me -- don't get me wrong, It would be the right thing to do, have I had extra $300 a week.

Last edited:

CdwJava

If the registration were expired, then you were indeed driving the vehicle illegally pursuant to the RCW if you are a WA resident. Whether the municipal code you were cited for was the appropriate section might be arguable, but since it does refer back to the RCW 46.16 which covers registration and vehicle license issues, it may well be appropriate.

Regardless of your opinion of the officer's attitude, the citation is likely still valid. Though I am curious, what kind of comments did he make that ticked you off so?

In my state new cars are issued a temporary registration by the dealer. I have also seen these from TX vehicles. I can't say why you were not issued one, but if you were not then the officer had no way to know if the vehicle was lawful or not. In fact, he probably could have towed the vehicle for being expired for two years. As it is, he likely bought your story as he only issued you a citation for the muni code.

- Carl

senixon

Thanks Carl for a very thorough look at my post and good reply. Although I'm fully aware that the ticket issues is valid if looked from RCW perspective, however I'm hoping for a little bit of humanity and understanding from the judge that ultimately I was only a victim of circumstances and in no way trying to avoid paying the taxes/tabs, which I BELIEVE the whole reason behind laws of that nature. But based on the replies thus far, my chances don't look good.

People are unwilling to put them selves in other people’s shoes, including my self. -- Have I been in officers shoes, I doubt I'd let me go either since their job is not to "judge" but to “enforce” the laws that are put out there. Still can't help but hope for a little more understanding, even from cops.

xylene

I am harping the former owners plates because the temporary paper plates are supposed to be your plates until you get new ones.

You don't need the metal plates from the old car owner.

Throw them away...

I guess I am harping the fact that I think that your keeping the old plates on the car is a fraud and very self serving.

"Opps I didn't realize... and I still need to drive."

CdwJava

Actually, absent some sort of valid registration you probably do NOT want to get rid of the prior plates because it is those plates that will come back with some record of the vehicle.

- Carl

CdwJava

senixon said:
Thanks Carl for a very thorough look at my post and good reply. Although I'm fully aware that the ticket issues is valid if looked from RCW perspective, however I'm hoping for a little bit of humanity and understanding from the judge that ultimately I was only a victim of circumstances and in no way trying to avoid paying the taxes/tabs, which I BELIEVE the whole reason behind laws of that nature. But based on the replies thus far, my chances don't look good.

People are unwilling to put them selves in other people’s shoes, including my self. -- Have I been in officers shoes, I doubt I'd let me go either since their job is not to "judge" but to “enforce” the laws that are put out there. Still can't help but hope for a little more understanding, even from cops.
People give the cops bogus tales all the time. Sometimes we just shake our heads and issue the citation anyway because the street is not the place to sort that out. And since these are usually "fix it" tickets, chances are that it can be corrected with minimal fuss once you get the paperwork from TX to register the vehicle in WA.

- Carl

senixon

xylene said:
I am harping the former owners plates because the temporary paper plates are supposed to be your plates until you get new ones.

You don't need the metal plates from the old car owner.

Throw them away...

I guess I am harping the fact that I think that your keeping the old plates on the car is a fraud and very self serving.

"Opps I didn't realize... and I still need to drive."
I agree, I don't need them, but leaving those on until I get my own plates being a fraud - this I don_t get. Who am I scamming by leaving them on? This is probably something I should go to the dealer with anyways since that's how I bought it. If it is in fact a fraud why didn't he dispose of them.

I would think that authorities would rather see a real plate on a car rather then paper one so they can at least trace it if they had to. Think about my situation... the whole reason I got pulled over was for expired plates, had it been a temp pate, that you can hardly see, I probably wouldn_t have been pulled over. TX plated don't have stickers indicating expiration dates, so the officer was able to get info on the car through his computer or whatever. Now hypothetically think about a potential crime like hit and run, would paper plates do anyone any good? You can hardly see them, can't Id the car since there are probably lots of black sedans out there with temp plates. However with a real, even expired, out of state plate, someone would be able to id the car in no time.

Last edited:

CdwJava

Having no plates would be a red flag to be stopped. I wouldn't advise it. Plus, with NO evidence of registration (even expired), the vehicle could likely be impounded on the spot ... at least it could in my state. As it is, it could likely still be impounded but it is less suspicious then to have NO plates.

- Carl

fairisfair

Okay, so I am hijacking, Carl, what is it we are supposed to do with those old plates anyway??? I am personally getting quite a collection, and am afraid to throw them away for fear some one will pick them out and slap them on their car**************

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">