• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expired Tag after 6 Months?!?!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Starless127

What is the name of your state? Alabama!

I am a resident of Massachusetts that's been living in Alabama for about 11 months. I moved down south for grad school, was given an automobile as a gift from my parents, registered it in November, have up-to-date insurance and was pulled over two weeks ago for an expired tag (apparently it was due in February). The University cop asked me why I hadn't renewed the tag, and I told him that I had just registered the car 7 months earlier and was unaware it had expired. He responded that I should have gotten a card in the mail right after I registered the car and probably wasn't aware of it. He issued a citation that's going to cost me $135. The next morning, I resolved the issue and renewed my registration. Should I fight the ticket?

BtW: I have (had) a clean driving record. Luckily, the insurance company said it won't make my premium increase.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">