• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expired Tag Options

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bkennyg07

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I was driving through a school zone when a police officer pulled me over and informed me that my tag was expired by ten days. The reason I did not get a tag was because my car failed emissions. The people at AutoZone informed me that it had to do with my EGR cylinder which has to do with the cleanliness of the air. To get this fixed, it was going to take a big sum of money which I did not have. Long story short, I needed the car to get to back and forth to school and work so that I could pay for the cylinders to be fixed, but he pulled me over before I could finish this. My question is, what options do I have? I can't pay that much for a ticket. The 1st offense for an expired tag is $675. (FYI) The car is in my mom's name.

moburkes

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I was driving through a school zone when a police officer pulled me over and informed me that my tag was expired by ten days. The reason I did not get a tag was because my car failed emissions. The people at AutoZone informed me that it had to do with my EGR cylinder which has to do with the cleanliness of the air. To get this fixed, it was going to take a big sum of money which I did not have. Long story short, I needed the car to get to back and forth to school and work so that I could pay for the cylinders to be fixed, but he pulled me over before I could finish this. My question is, what options do I have? I can't pay that much for a ticket. The 1st offense for an expired tag is $675. (FYI) The car is in my mom's name.
You don't have any options. You knew you were driving illegally, you chanced it, and you lost. You'll need to get a 2nd job to pay for the fine.

bkennyg07

thanks for the response miss. so do i have any choices on payment options? all at one time or piece by piece?

moburkes

thanks for the response miss. so do i have any choices on payment options? all at one time or piece by piece?
Only the department that issued the ticket can make that call. You also need to stop driving the vehicle. Both you and your mother are asking for additional fines, the potential of impound, and arrest.

bkennyg07

i'm sorry if my first post was misleading...we can't drive the car anymore. in fact, the officer impounded the car, and my mom let the car get reposesed. would my consequences be any different in reference to what I plea? guilty or no contest

moburkes

i'm sorry if my first post was misleading...we can't drive the car anymore. in fact, the officer impounded the car, and my mom let the car get reposesed. would my consequences be any different in reference to what I plea? guilty or no contest
Not in regards to fines. If you plead no contest, then that conviction cannot be used against you later.

tholt4

You must have gotten cited for more than just an expired tag. That fine is only $100.00 for less than 60 days expired in Fulton County (Atlanta) as of 5-10-05. The same fine is in effect for my county.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">