• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expired Tags but have them in the car.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Levda

What is the name of your state? California

When I got back to my car today there was a ticket on my window. The ticket is for expired tags. After looking at the tags I noticed that I forgot to put the new tags on the plate. The new tags were in the glove box. Is there anything I can do to avoid the expired tags fee?

CdwJava

Levda said:
What is the name of your state? California

When I got back to my car today there was a ticket on my window. The ticket is for expired tags. After looking at the tags I noticed that I forgot to put the new tags on the plate. The new tags were in the glove box. Is there anything I can do to avoid the expired tags fee?
Contact the agency that issued the parking ticket and see if they will allow you to contest the citation on that issue or drop the fee. But, don't count on it. The current tabs have to be displayed on the plate, so the fact you had them is not likely relevant.

But, it shouldn't hurt to ask.

Carl

Expired Tags

...and to add to this. Usually if you can prove compliance at the court date, you'll be okay. Every state can be a lil different on this. But if you can show the judge that you had the tags (perhaps with paperwork showing the date), he may just dismiss that. I've seen it happen again and again. Also can argue that you were afraid that the tags might be stolen off the plates so you had delayed putting them on(then produce the paper with the date on them to show you ACTUALLY DID have them at the time)....Should get dismissed. Although, you may have to pay COURT COSTS. Alas, that's the rub.

Btw: CdwJava, Im new to these forums but i've seen your advice on other forums and you're really on the money guy. Plus, you exhibit respect for the person asking the question. Much respect.

"They say that Lady Justice is blind but i do believe the old girl is peeking."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">