• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

expired tags for deceased mother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alejbarnhart

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

My mom passed away over a year ago, I had her car for a bit but have been unable to afford to remove a lean that is on her car and it has sat for quite some time. A police officer visited my house asking about the car out front, my room mate told them it has been my moms and proceeded to give the officer my name... he wrote me a ticket for my moms expired tags, the car is not in my name and i am unable to drive it

Am i responsible for this ticket? should i contest it? or cough up the money?

justalayman

Whomever the owner/tenant is at the residence is actually liable for having an unlicensed vehicle parked where it is not allowed. If you claim the car to be yours I suspect the courts will rule that it is effectively your car and you get to pay the ticket

Did you ever take your mothers estate through probate? The debt and title should have been dealt with during probate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">