• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to obey officer during Cbus Half-Marathon

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

biko7125

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
I am a student at OSU and yesterday was the half-marathon race that cuts through campus along high street. I was walking home in the morning and came across 6,000+ runners and I needed to get to my house because I had people coming over for a graduation brunch (did not have 2 hours to wait until everyone ran past that point). I asked the officer (sheriff) when I could cross the street and he said "it will be awhile" so after five minutes, I waited for the crosswalk to indicate that I could walk, waited until there were no running participants coming, and walked across the street. It caused no delay to any runners and I was violating no traffic laws other than the fact that there was a very unhappy sheriff who called me over and took my information indicating a summons would be sent to me. What does this mean exactly and what can I expect in charges?
Thank you!

tranquility

When I look it up, I am astonished. This could be a crime (misdemeanor) and not what I would call an infraction.

General advice on crimes:
Don't talk to anyone about it. Get an attorney.

My guess is, if you are charged, it is:
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2921.331v1

Shut up to everyone. Attorney. While you need to wait for the charging, this could be bad. Very bad. I would hope a prosecutor finds mercy. This is not like a vehicle fleeing a police stop. But, then again, it is--by law.

quincy

Because there was a "very unhappy sheriff" who took the time to call you over to get your information, I would be concerned. Following is a direct link to the law tranquility found that, I agree, appears to apply to what you describe.

ORC 2921.331, Failure to comply with order or signal of police officer: http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2921.331v1

Because it is charged as a misdemeanor of the first degree, you would be smart to consult with an attorney in your area if you receive a summons in the mail.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">