• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

False Address on Drivers License

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

urban

What is the name of your state? NY
Without consulting with me, my wife told a cousin of hers that it is ok to use our address on his drivers license. Instead of notifying the DMV right away, I wanted to avoid famiily problems and forwarded the envelope with the license and included a letter saying that it was not permissible and to change it. This cousin is not too trustworthy and of course he is not going to change it (I have since explained to my wife that this wasn't proper to do and she understands). After waiting for a few months, I tried to report him to the DMV, but before I revealed any details about myself, they seemed more upset that I forwarded the letter to him than the fact that he falsified a government document so I hung up. What do I do ? If I don't do anything and he gets into trouble and they find out will that be worse than if report it ?
What could be the consequences for me and my wife for being involved with this unsavory person ? Should I deal with the DMV thru a lawyer and if so what kind ? (also what would happen to the cousin if this is reported?) Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">