• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ficticious Tags

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fireducks

State is NC
Hello,
so here's my situation:
I was driving and old car with expired tags (i cannot pass inspection because my cat converter is missing).
Bought a new car, got a temporary paper tags.
Was driving it that way for couple weeks, waiting for new tags.
One day i notice paper tag is missing.
So I have genius idea of taking my old expired plate off the old car and putting it on the new one.
I get pulled over few days later for expired tags and, because it's off my old car, get a "fictitious tags" ticket with court appearance.
Cop confiscates the plates. I showed him all the paperwork for new car, so he allowed me to drive new car home with no plates.
He said "if you get pulled over show them the ticket and let them know that VIN and registration on this car are fine, and they will let you go." He also said that the judge may throw the ticket away.

Next day i get a call from dealership saying they got my new plates. durrrr.

Now the question: how big is potential punishment for this offence, and should I get a lawyer?

Thanks a lot!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

antrc170

It's hard to say without knowing the code section, but if you are charged with NC 20-111 (2) its a class 2 misdemeanor. Class 2M is 6mo and $500 fine.
I would seriously doubt you get anything more than a fine, my guess with a clean record is about $100 - $250. Beg for mercy and there is a chance the judge would reduce it to driving without a registration or expired registration.

xylene

You were charged with a serious misdemeanor.

You need to hire a lawyer.

This is a a very big deal, and playing the 'aw schucks I was waiting for my tags' defense will not work with the judge. You should have known how serious a violation of the law this is, at least that is how the court will see it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">