• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fictitious plate 39:3-33

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hirurg78

hi, there. One year ago, i installed aftermarket bumper for my car that has no place for the front license plate. The shop, who's perform the installation, never return me the license plate. I forget it in the shop. Couple days ago, I received the ticket from NJ court by mail for fictitious plate and unregistered vehicle. Somebody park unregistered vehicle and put my plate on it. the tickets is 500 and 150. I called to the shop and they sad that they throw out my plate long time ago. What can i do in this situation?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You were negligent and left a license plate where it didn't belong. Don't be surprised if you are held responsible.

You need to file a police report but since it's after the fact don't expect too much leeway from the court.

HighwayMan

You did not promptly report the theft/loss of your license plate.

I am familiar with the statute. What's your point?

hirurg78

You did not promptly report the theft/loss of your license plate.

I am familiar with the statute. What's your point?
Ok. Missing plate - I agree. But I guess the cops has to fined the person, who affix my plate to unregistered vehicle.
Below is the statue. What am I violate?
No person shall drive a motor vehicle the owner of which has not complied with the provisions of this subtitle concerning the proper registration and identification thereof, nor drive a motor vehicle which displays a fictitious number, or a number other than that designated for the motor vehicle in its registration certificate. During the period of time between the application for motor vehicle registration and the receipt of registration plates from the division, no person shall affix a plate or marker for the purpose of advertisement in the position on a motor vehicle normally reserved for the display of the registration plates required by this section if the plate or marker is designed with a combination of letters, numbers, colors, or words to resemble the registration plates required by this section.

HighwayMan

Ok. Missing plate - I agree.
No, you are missing the point.

Someone ended up with your plate and misused it. Guess who takes the hit? YOU because as I said you FAILED to promptly report the theft of the plate to the proper authorities.

Anyone can make up a story AFTER the fact that their plate was stolen - unless it was reported when it happened I doubt many courts will side with you. Not only were you negligent in not pursuing the repair shop for the plate you then compounded the problem by failing to report the incident.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">