• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fictitious Plate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fict_plate

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Arizona

I was citated with 'Fictitious Plates' by putting my old plates from a motorcycle trade-in on my new motorcycle. I had registered the new bike and had a paper plate on the new bike. I had removed the paper plate and replaced with my old plate.

I was cited for Criminal Traffic and to appear in court in less then 3 weeks.

The bike is 6 days old.

I didn't have the paper registration with me or proof of my insurance. Those citations were traffic. I do have the new bike registered (waiting for new tab) and changed my insurance to the new bike (it was current on the old bike)

The bike was not impounded as I told the truth the police. I have no previous record. Just a very stupid mistake.

28-2531.B1
28-4135.C
28-2158.C

What is going to happen? Do I need to hire an attorney? Help!

Last edited:

asiny

What is going to happen? Do I need to hire an attorney?
You are going to pay fines. Could not hurt. But why would you think putting your old plates on your new bike would be a good idea???

Basically if you had kept the dealer (temp) plate on the bike - you may not have been stopped in the 1st place.. What were you stopped for? Was it random? Or was it because your plates did not match your bike?

fict_plate

I was randomly pulled over. Was stopped at a traffic light and he pulled up behind, must have ran the plate.

Agree, it was stupid and have no issue to step up and pay the fines. I thought I was going to get a new plate 'sticker' to place on my old plate. If I had any idea it was a criminal offense, NEVER would have done it. I told the police the same. I'm worried about the 'criminal' offense.

Received the new registration and plate in the mail. The paperwork is dated a day before the occurrence.

asiny

As important as ever - consulting an attorney is the best course of action.

Did you have valid insurance on the new bike as required by Arizona?
Was the bike properly registered with the state?
Did you have the temporary plate, clearly visible, on the vehicle?
What county were you cited in?

28-2531.B1
Class 2 misdemeanor: up to $750.00 fine and four months in jail;
A plea to the prosecutor in regards to "it was stupid and have no issue to step up and pay the fines."
The fine may stay - but the jail time may be waived for 1st offence. Depending on the prosecutor, it falls to their discretion.

28-4135.C
D. A citation issued for violating subsection B or C of this section shall be dismissed if the person to whom the citation was issued produces evidence to the appropriate court officer on or before the date and time specified on the citation for court appearance and in a manner specified by the court, including the certification of evidence by mail, of either of the following:

2. A motor vehicle or automobile liability policy that meets the financial responsibility requirements of this state and that insured the person and the motor vehicle the person was operating at the time the person received the citation regardless of whether or not the motor vehicle was named in the policy.
As long as the insurance was valid BEFORE you were stopped - the above dictates it shall be dismissed. The only caveat, that I can see, is the bolded section.
To me the statute first states the person and the vehicle - but then states regardless of whether the vehicle is named. Confusing to me. If someone else reads this thread and could shed some light??

28-2158C
Fine suspended upon proof of registration.
Depending on the county - it could also be dismissed if you can prove the vehicle was registered BEFORE you were stopped.

Last edited:

fict_plate

As a follow up; guilty with class II misdemeanor. Other two were dismissed. Fined ~$300.

Can the MVD come at me now and revoke my license?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">