• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fire hydrant: how close is too close.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

homerwight

I live in Los Angeles, CA. This morning I got a parking ticket for parking too close to a fire hydrant. This is in a residential neighborhood of houses. I've parked in this same spot for over three years and was approxiamtely 4' 8" away from the hydrant -- I have measured it with a tape measure and taken pictures. The curb is not painted red or yellow, and there are no parking signs. When I don't park there, someone else always does. I know fighting the city for a $40 ticket will probably be a losing battle, but since I or someone else always parks in this exact spot, I'm willing to fight it -- to at least get the city to come and paint the curb, so the public knows exactly where we can't park. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. J. R. :)

S

seniorjudge

homerwight said:
I live in Los Angeles, CA. This morning I got a parking ticket for parking too close to a fire hydrant. This is in a residential neighborhood of houses. I've parked in this same spot for over three years and was approxiamtely 4' 8" away from the hydrant -- I have measured it with a tape measure and taken pictures. The curb is not painted red or yellow, and there are no parking signs. When I don't park there, someone else always does. I know fighting the city for a $40 ticket will probably be a losing battle, but since I or someone else always parks in this exact spot, I'm willing to fight it -- to at least get the city to come and paint the curb, so the public knows exactly where we can't park. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. J. R. :)
JR, call up city hall and ask them where online that you can find a copy of the ordinance under which you were ticketed.

Then post it here.

CdwJava

homerwight said:
They do not have to paint the curb.

You were probably cited for section 22514 of the California Vehicle Code Unless LA has an ordinance covering the matter as well - probably shrinking the distance):

CVC 22514. No person shall stop, park, or leave standing any vehicle
within 15 feet of a fire hydrant except as follows:

(a) If the vehicle is attended by a licensed driver who is seated
in the front seat and who can immediately move such vehicle in case
of necessity.

(b) If the local authority adopts an ordinance or resolution
reducing that distance. If the distance is less than 10 feet total
length when measured along the curb or edge of the street, the
distance shall be indicated by signs or markings.

(c) If the vehicle is owned or operated by a fire department and
is clearly marked as a fire department vehicle.

No matter how you cut it 4'8" is too close. The fact that you have never before received a citation for the same violation is no defense.

And your pictures and admission to the distance from the hydrant will only serve to cement your guilt, not alleviate it.

Time to pay the fine ... unless they cited you for the wrong offense or put down the incorrect vehicle identifiers. If those are good, then break out the checkbook or be prepared to simply drag out the inevitable.

- Carl

Last edited:
S

seniorjudge

You Are Guilty said:
Do I have to post the BMW parked next to the hydrant picture again?
Yes.

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Carl's new best liberal Democrat person of off-color friend, Senior Moment Judge

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">