• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fire Hydrant Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alvinr2000

What is the name of your state? NYC

I got a parking ticket for parking too close to fire hydrant. It was listed as 4 feet from fire hydrant.

There was no yellow painting on the curb around the hydrant. There were only two yellow poles around it. It was my first time to the city and I did not know the 15 feet rule. I know that not knowing is not a valid argument.

Can I make a case that there was no markings indicating fire hydrant clearance?

also I actually park about 6 feet from the hydrant. Is it going to make any difference?

Thanks a lot

You Are Guilty

alvinr2000 said:
What is the name of your state? NYC

I got a parking ticket for parking too close to fire hydrant. It was listed as 4 feet from fire hydrant.

There was no yellow painting on the curb around the hydrant. There were only two yellow poles around it. It was my first time to the city and I did not know the 15 feet rule. I know that not knowing is not a valid argument.

Can I make a case that there was no markings indicating fire hydrant clearance?

also I actually park about 6 feet from the hydrant. Is it going to make any difference?

Thanks a lot
"No" on all counts. There is no rule about the curb being marked (and if you look around, 95% aren't).

If you search some of my old posts here, you can find the link that shows what information has to be 100% correct on the ticket to make it valid, but if it's all there, you might as well just pay (you can get a reduced rate by going down in person to "contest" it and changing your plea to guilty for the reduction. I hear its like 20% off the ticket price).

alvinr2000

You Are Guilty said:
"No" on all counts. There is no rule about the curb being marked (and if you look around, 95% aren't).

If you search some of my old posts here, you can find the link that shows what information has to be 100% correct on the ticket to make it valid, but if it's all there, you might as well just pay (you can get a reduced rate by going down in person to "contest" it and changing your plea to guilty for the reduction. I hear its like 20% off the ticket price).
That's what i thought.. thanks for your advice. I am just gonna pay it and get done with it. I live in massachusetts so 20% won't make any difference. Besides I read an article about pleading guilty and it said fire hydrant parking is considered severe offense so you won't get discount.

Thank you

Alvin

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">