• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fire Hydrant Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joos

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

So I parked last night, don't go back to the car til the next evening. I see a orange envelope... I was given a ticket for parking near a hydrant. The Ticket says I was 4 feet from it, so I went home and got my tape measure. After measuring I was roughly 9feet 6 inches from the hydrant. On top of that, the block had signs posted up all over the area that starting April 9th there will be no parking (one of those being pasted ON the hydrant).

Now the sign is gone (by wind or by someone ripping it) but there are a bunch around the area still. I took pictures of the signs, the hydrant, my car measured from the hydrant, as well as the car behind the hydrant parked even closer with no ticket. I also took a video so the measurements have continuity.

Does either the fact that is says 4 feet(which is not even close) or that there was a sign on the hydrant help me?

Also what does BL mean for color black or blue/

Last edited:

You Are Guilty

So I parked last night, don't go back to the car til the next evening. I see a orange envelope... I was given a ticket for parking near a hydrant. The Ticket says I was 4 feet from it, so I went home and got my tape measure. After measuring I was roughly 9feet 6 inches from the hydrant. On top of that, the block had signs posted up all over the area that starting April 9th there will be no parking (one of those being pasted ON the hydrant).

Now the sign is gone (by wind or by someone ripping it) but there are a bunch around the area still. I took pictures of the signs, the hydrant, my car measured from the hydrant, as well as the car behind the hydrant parked even closer with no ticket. I also took a video so the measurements have continuity.

Does either the fact that is says 4 feet(which is not even close) or that there was a sign on the hydrant help me?

Also what does BL mean for color black or blue/
Just so I am clear, you plan on contesting the ticket on the alternate grounds that:
a- you were parked ~9' from the hydrant, not 4';
b- the entire block was signed "no parking"; and
c- some other cars didn't have tickets on them?

Because if those are your only defenses, your chances of success just left town on the last train to Clarksville. (And although I do not believe hydrant tickets are eligible for a settlement, if one is offered, it is likely to be your best bet).

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Is this New York City?

YAG: those "settlements" are now history. I believe they went away as of the first of this year. So now it is all or nothing on every parking violation in the City.

OP: you're implying that a "sign" posted on the hydrant itself somehow makes it not a hydrant? Or are you suggesting that the hydrant was totally obscured by the sign and you couldn't see it?

Nothing that you've said is relevant in the least. If the distance was wrong, then so be it. As long as you were parked within 15 feet you are guilty - whether it was 1 foot or 14 feet.

Judge: you moved your car ! Then took pictures. Plus its 15 feet required ... you would be admitting guilt. You can say you measured 4 feet and your car was still plenty away from the 4 feet away mark.

justalayman

So I parked last night, don't go back to the car til the next evening. I see a orange envelope... I was given a ticket for parking near a hydrant. The Ticket says I was 4 feet from it, so I went home and got my tape measure. After measuring I was roughly 9feet 6 inches from the hydrant.
I guess when you tempt fate, she has a way of letting you know it wasn't a good idea. Want to go for a second try? Maybe she will be a bit more lenient this time. If not, go for a third.

I say keep trying until they actually just tow the car away. That would really show them.

You Are Guilty

YAG: those "settlements" are now history. I believe they went away as of the first of this year. So now it is all or nothing on every parking violation in the City.
Knock wood, I've managed to squeak by for all of 2012 without one parking cite, but that's unfortunate if it has been discontinued. I guess the city needs all the money it can get at this point.

(Although I guess giving NYC parking ticket advice is going to be a lot easier from now on).
I say keep trying until they actually just tow the car away. That would really show them.
Amen, brother! That's the best way to teach The Man a lesson. Give it a shot, OP.

FlyingRon

If you want to view the occasional parking ticket as paying your parking fees for the year (sort of like going to the penalty box in a hockey game) fine. Just don't come crying to us when the fire department damages your car getting it out of the way so they can connect to the hydrant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">