• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fix-It Windshield Ticket, Car Not Operable

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LA52

California, Los Angeles County

Back in February, my wife received a fix it ticket for a cracked windshield. We filed an extension, at the time we couldn't afford to repair it.

The ticket is due tomorrow, but the transmission blew out 2 weeks ago. It is an older car which was already in very bad shape.

What are my options at this point? Is it possible to ask for another extension in front of the judge?

Thank you for any assistance in this matter.

CourtClerk

California, Los Angeles County

Back in February, my wife received a fix it ticket for a cracked windshield. We filed an extension, at the time we couldn't afford to repair it.

The ticket is due tomorrow, but the transmission blew out 2 weeks ago. It is an older car which was already in very bad shape.

What are my options at this point? Is it possible to ask for another extension in front of the judge?

Thank you for any assistance in this matter.
Just pay the ticket. The fine is about $150. You're not going to get an extension that will last you until you get the transmission rebuilt unless you're putting it in the shop tomorrow and will have it out in a couple of weeks.

justalayman

The last windshield i had installed was a couple hundred dollars. Unless prices have skyrocketed it might be better to actually fix the car and pay whatever administrative fee is required. If you pay the ticket and wish to continue driving the car you'll have to fix the windshield anyway. Better financially to fix it now and minimize the cost of this ticket.

AdoptADog

The last windshield i had installed was a couple hundred dollars. Unless prices have skyrocketed it might be better to actually fix the car and pay whatever administrative fee is required. If you pay the ticket and wish to continue driving the car you'll have to fix the windshield anyway. Better financially to fix it now and minimize the cost of this ticket.
The problem with this is getting the fix signed off by a police officer. Unless the OP can convince one to come out to look at the repaired vehicle, he or his wife will not be able to submit it for dismissal.

justalayman

The problem with this is getting the fix signed off by a police officer. Unless the OP can convince one to come out to look at the repaired vehicle, he or his wife will not be able to submit it for dismissal.
I don't know where they live. In my area of the world that wouldn't be difficult. Other than that a few pictures and a receipt (making sure it lists the vin) presented to the court should take care of it.

CdwJava

Most agencies in CA now require you to go to the station and pay a fee for a ticket sign off. Some may send an officer to where you need it, but, I know that mine didn't. The OP may have to check with his local agency and see whether that's even an option.

justalayman

Most agencies in CA now require you to go to the station and pay a fee for a ticket sign off. Some may send an officer to where you need it, but, I know that mine didn't. The OP may have to check with his local agency and see whether that's even an option.
I would hope the court have some means to facilitate a situation where the vehicle is not currently driveable yet the fix has been dealt with.

CdwJava

I would hope the court have some means to facilitate a situation where the vehicle is not currently driveable yet the fix has been dealt with.
The means requires that the citation or a correction form be signed off by someone (officer, court or DMV employee) who witnesses the correction. A judge is certainly free to consider a photo if he or she wishes, but, that is not the accepted legal practice and a photo cannot be easily verified as the same vehicle that was cited. But, who would say no to a judge?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
With an extension already given for this I don't know how agreeable a court would be to allow any more breaks.

justalayman

With an extension already given for this I don't know how agreeable a court would be to allow any more breaks.
More breaks? They already have to fix the one they were cited for. :cool:

Yes, that could be a problem. Thank goodness there are companies that can do installations with very little notice.

If it was me, before seeking a continuance I would have a paid in full receipt in hand from a glass company with a scheduled date for the repair and proactively ask the judge how to set a date where I could show the court the work was done.

Waiting this long is a very bad move on the op's part.

CourtClerk

Yes, they give you the option of paying the ticket. I know of no agency that will send an officer out to inspect your vehicle. The government wastes enough money as it is.

justalayman

Yes, they give you the option of paying the ticket. I know of no agency that will send an officer out to inspect your vehicle. The government wastes enough money as it is.
Put out a sign; free donuts and coffee (or if in Carl's area; croissant and whatever he drinks)

Then when the cops stop by ask them to sign off on the ticket.

'It's a shame given all the citizen friendly laws you have you cant do this for the populace. Cops are cruising all over anyway so what's a stop to check out the car? After all, they did have the time to check it out the first time and even issued a ticket. Kind of hypocritical if you ask me.

CdwJava

Put out a sign; free donuts and coffee (or if in Carl's area; croissant and whatever he drinks)

Then when the cops stop by ask them to sign off on the ticket.
Nice idea ... and, it's a mocha ... But, in many agencies, the officers are prohibited from doing sign offs unless dispatched (i.e. unless the subject has paid the fee at the office). This is not true everywhere, and while my agency prohibited us from doing these sign-offs, I often suggest that people park and wait at the local feeding/watering holes (Denny's and Starbucks) and ask politely if they see an officer (CHP or Sheriff's Deputies in my area).

'It's a shame given all the citizen friendly laws you have you cant do this for the populace. Cops are cruising all over anyway so what's a stop to check out the car? After all, they did have the time to check it out the first time and even issued a ticket. Kind of hypocritical if you ask me.
In CA cops are not responding to property crime reports, how are they going to find the time to respond to a mechanic's shop to sign off a fix-it ticket for a windshield? While some agencies still do this, it's a luxury many more cannot afford.

Listen to the unanswered violent crime calls that can be heard on the radio transmissions of any metro area in CA these days ... staffing is short and crime is on the rise. I nightly hear Sac PD Dispatch BOLing ADW, DV, and violent battery calls in progress because no one is available. It's terrifying.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">