• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Florida - Parking vs Standing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lucky42

What is the name of your state? FL

There is a sign on the edge of a street that states no standing or stopping, but doesn't mention anything about parking in the swale area next to the raodway. Most common folk in the area read the "no standing or stopping" as pertaining to in the street area - the area is located near a school and many times lines are formed near pick up and drop off. Does this sign also pertain to the swale area? There is no sign on the fence in front of the swale area which would be in front of the parked cars? Tickets have been issued - so law enforcement obviously thinks standing and parking are the same. Is there any way to fight these tickets?

XNavyLT

Standing and parking are the same. Standing is a short form of parking. Theres probably a reason they don't want cars there, so find somewhere else to park.
If you feel you've been wronged use your due process rights and take it to court. Sue the school, the city, the PD, all of them. Spend ohhhh I duuno, $150000 in legal fees...maybe the judge will say...ya know you're right....as long as you're PARKED, the sign doesnt apply to YOU. The next day,signs will be there stating NO PARKING/STANDING, and any other thing someone wants to think of when their car sits there without moving.

FlyingRon

Tickets have been issued - so law enforcement obviously thinks standing and parking are the same. Is there any way to fight these tickets?
The Florida statute even comes right out and says no parking in places that are marked as no standing: 316.1945(1)(b)(7).

Except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic, or in compliance with law or the directions of a police officer or official traffic control device, no person shall: Stand or park a vehicle, whether occupied or not, except momentarily to pick up or discharge a passenger or passengers: At any place where official traffic control devices prohibit standing.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I believe our OP was asking if it was ok to park off the street on the other side of the sign (as opposed to on the street).
OP - No, it's not ok.

FlyingRon

I believe our OP was asking if it was ok to park off the street on the other side of the sign (as opposed to on the street).
OP - No, it's not ok.
But on the other side, it doesn't say nothing.
This land was made for you and me.

-Woody Guthrie.

efflandt

What makes you think that no stopping or standing does not also apply to the shoulder, ditch, or right of way, or that the owner of the property between the street and fence does not mind you rutting it up? It should be common sense not park on the grass without permission.

My community specifically passed an ordinance prohibiting parking on the grass in the treebank or street side of yard because they thought cars scattered on the front lawn gave the community a hillbilly image.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">