• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fraudulent Inspection Sticker

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

al000

He apparently didn't feel the need to tell them when he was arrested for shoplifting in 2010...
My parents found out about the shoplifting ticket a few weeks after it happened. I just didn't tell them I had a court date, and they didn't ask. They were angry with me at the time, due to other things (non-legal, school related, if you're wondering), so certain details were not addressed. I know they should've been. Like I said in other posts, I was younger, scared, and didn't know what to do, so I just didn't do anything about it asap. I wish I had.

al000

Have to tell the parents so they'll help with the $$$$$$ to hire a lawyer... OP is an unemployed college student.

My question: why the fraudulent inspection sticker? Things can happen to plates - some people don't realize they need a front one. And an obstruction can be an oversight (didn't realize those boxes were blocking the line of vision). But doesn't having a fraudulent inspection sticker require more conscious action than an expired inspection sticker? Or are they the same in New Jersey?
I had a front plate displayed on my dashboard, visible through my windshield, just not mounted to the front bumper. I thought this was okay because it was still visible. Cops have passed me before with this set up and I've never gotten in trouble for it until now. The obstructed view ticket was ridiculous. I had 3 of those tree air fresheners stacked together and hanging from my rearview mirror. It doesn't block my view whatsoever, but it's eye level and therefore considered an obstruction.

I'm a little unclear about what you're asking about the fraudulent sticker.
I recently moved back from California and brought this car with me. I had to change the plates, get it registered in NJ, and get it inspected. Everything is new, so I never had an expired inspection sticker from NJ on the car to begin with.

Eekamouse

I had a front plate displayed on my dashboard, visible through my windshield, just not mounted to the front bumper. I thought this was okay because it was still visible. Cops have passed me before with this set up and I've never gotten in trouble for it until now. The obstructed view ticket was ridiculous. I had 3 of those tree air fresheners stacked together and hanging from my rearview mirror. It doesn't block my view whatsoever, but it's eye level and therefore considered an obstruction.

I'm a little unclear about what you're asking about the fraudulent sticker.
I recently moved back from California and brought this car with me. I had to change the plates, get it registered in NJ, and get it inspected. Everything is new, so I never had an expired inspection sticker from NJ on the car to begin with.
When you say fraudulent sticker, what do you mean exactly? Was it a doctored sticker that did not go to your car? Was it something else? I have no idea how other states do things but in California, we have registration stickers (I believe they are the same thing) on our plates that we replace every year. Each year is a different color than the last to make them easily identifiable to LEOs. I knew someone who got in a bunch of trouble a long time ago when he used an airbrush spray gun to change the color of his registration sticker rather than pay his registration fees on his vehicle. Is your fraudulent sticker charge for something along those line?

al000

When you say fraudulent sticker, what do you mean exactly? Was it a doctored sticker that did not go to your car? Was it something else? I have no idea how other states do things but in California, we have registration stickers (I believe they are the same thing) on our plates that we replace every year. Each year is a different color than the last to make them easily identifiable to LEOs. I knew someone who got in a bunch of trouble a long time ago when he used an airbrush spray gun to change the color of his registration sticker rather than pay his registration fees on his vehicle. Is your fraudulent sticker charge for something along those line?
I remember getting the stickers for my plate when I was living in California, and that's all I needed after I passed smog. In NJ, when you get your car inspected and hopefully pass, you receive a sticker to place on the driver's side windshield of your car. Rather than the "month - year" stickers we put on our license plates in California, the NJ inspection stickers have the same info but in addition, the sticker also has a number on the bottom that is supposed to go back to your car to prove your inspection is valid. NJ stickers have the color-coding too. Anyway, to answer your question: yes, you're correct. My fraudulent sticker ticket was because the number on my sticker didn't go back to my car, therefore rendering it fake.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I remember getting the stickers for my plate when I was living in California, and that's all I needed after I passed smog. In NJ, when you get your car inspected and hopefully pass, you receive a sticker to place on the driver's side windshield of your car. Rather than the "month - year" stickers we put on our license plates in California, the NJ inspection stickers have the same info but in addition, the sticker also has a number on the bottom that is supposed to go back to your car to prove your inspection is valid. NJ stickers have the color-coding too. Anyway, to answer your question: yes, you're correct. My fraudulent sticker ticket was because the number on my sticker didn't go back to my car, therefore rendering it fake.
In California, using a sticker that doesn't belong on the car is a felony.

al000

In California, using a sticker that doesn't belong on the car is a felony.
When the officer gave me the ticket, he informed me that the fraudulent sticker is arrestable for a 2nd or 3rd degree crime. He said he wasn't going to do that but that I just had to appear in court. I was extremely cooperative and polite when he pulled me over. He was kind enough to tell me that he's going to write a note to the judge and hopefully get the 3 tickets condensed into one fine. He told me to just rip the fraudulent sticker off my windshield, get my car inspected as soon as possible, and if it fails, they'll give me extra time to make the necessary repairs.

And, just to make this clear: I had valid stickers in California that I received from the DMV.

al000

I have a found a promising lawyer in my area whose reviews are excellent and charges a reasonable flat rate. I actually just received a call for a job interview today, so there's starting to be a little light in my situation. I'll do whatever I can to save the money for it and will be contacting him tomorrow. Thanks again for all of your replies.

STEPHAN

PLEASE inform you parents and get them in the boat. They might be upset, but they will help you. You need it.

Good luck with everything.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The obstructed view ticket was ridiculous. I had 3 of those tree air fresheners stacked together and hanging from my rearview mirror. It doesn't block my view whatsoever...
Of course they do. These items are not invisible so by definition they obstruct your view.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">