• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fraudulent Inspection Sticker

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

al000

On 4/24/15, I was pulled over in Princeton, NJ. I received 3 tickets: Obstructed View, No Front Plate, and Fraudulent Sticker. I'm not worried about the ticket for obstructed view or front plate as much as I am worried about the fraudulent sticker ticket.

After having done a little research on the consequences of getting this ticket, I discovered that the fines can be really steep. On top of that, there is possibility that I might have my license or registration revoked/suspended. Apparently I could have this on my record as a felony or a crime.

Some who have gone through similar situations have said that a clean record could help my case. However, I remembered that I have an unresolved case from 2010, when I was 18 years old. I was arrested and spent a few hours in jail in NYC for shoplifting. I was young and definitely didn't know any better. I was given a court date for it, but missed it. Being scared/didn't know what to do about the whole situation, I didn't know how to handle it at the time and it was never resolved.

I'm afraid this will show up on my record when I go to court for the Fraudulent Ticket sticker and make matters worse for me.

What should I expect at court given the circumstances? What questions will the judge ask me? What should I expect and what are my options? Is getting a lawyer necessary (I currently have little to no funds), or should I just accept the fines I am given? Is there any way I could lessen the fine/penalties? I've never dealt with a situation like this before, any advice would be great. Thanks

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You're lucky you didn't get arrested for a forgery related crime as well as the warrant that's likely around for you.

Eekamouse

On 4/24/15, I was pulled over in Princeton, NJ. I received 3 tickets: Obstructed View, No Front Plate, and Fraudulent Sticker. I'm not worried about the ticket for obstructed view or front plate as much as I am worried about the fraudulent sticker ticket.

After having done a little research on the consequences of getting this ticket, I discovered that the fines can be really steep. On top of that, there is possibility that I might have my license or registration revoked/suspended. Apparently I could have this on my record as a felony or a crime.

Some who have gone through similar situations have said that a clean record could help my case. However, I remembered that I have an unresolved case from 2010, when I was 18 years old. I was arrested and spent a few hours in jail in NYC for shoplifting. I was young and definitely didn't know any better. I was given a court date for it, but missed it. Being scared/didn't know what to do about the whole situation, I didn't know how to handle it at the time and it was never resolved.

I'm afraid this will show up on my record when I go to court for the Fraudulent Ticket sticker and make matters worse for me.

What should I expect at court given the circumstances? What questions will the judge ask me? What should I expect and what are my options? Is getting a lawyer necessary (I currently have little to no funds), or should I just accept the fines I am given? Is there any way I could lessen the fine/penalties? I've never dealt with a situation like this before, any advice would be great. Thanks
You should expect that the judge will see your record and know that you are irresponsible, dishonest. untrustworthy, and insincere. What do YOU think is going to happen to you? It'll probably be worse than what you think might happen and you're going to think it isn't fair. You're wrong. You ARE all those things and you also try to make up excuses to lessen your guilt. You didn't "just remember" that you have an unresolved case from 2010. Do you expect a judge to believe that you were ever going to go to court on your own to resolve your shoplifting charge? At 18 years old, you didn't know stealing things is wrong? Really? You knew what you needed to do. It was go to court and face the music for your crime. You didn't and now you are worried about it? You can offer a sea of excuses to the court but the judge has heard them all before and since you are not even a convincing liar online, don't be surprised when no one believes anything you say.

PaulMass

Get your automobile issues resolved before the court date. Get a front plate, remove the obstruction, and get it inspected. Bring evidence of same to court.

You should probably head to the NYC court and get the missed court appearance resolved before your NJ court date.

al000

Get your automobile issues resolved before the court date. Get a front plate, remove the obstruction, and get it inspected. Bring evidence of same to court.

You should probably head to the NYC court and get the missed court appearance resolved before your NJ court date.

Thank you very much for being the only person to actually give me advice I could work with. While I'm sure I deserve the harshness given to me by the other people responding due to my past mistakes, I am legitimately trying to figure out the best way I could fix everything.. I will call to extend my NJ court date and reschedule my NYC court date. Again, I appreciate really appreciate it.

al000

You should expect that the judge will see your record and know that you are irresponsible, dishonest. untrustworthy, and insincere. What do YOU think is going to happen to you? It'll probably be worse than what you think might happen and you're going to think it isn't fair. You're wrong. You ARE all those things and you also try to make up excuses to lessen your guilt. You didn't "just remember" that you have an unresolved case from 2010. Do you expect a judge to believe that you were ever going to go to court on your own to resolve your shoplifting charge? At 18 years old, you didn't know stealing things is wrong? Really? You knew what you needed to do. It was go to court and face the music for your crime. You didn't and now you are worried about it? You can offer a sea of excuses to the court but the judge has heard them all before and since you are not even a convincing liar online, don't be surprised when no one believes anything you say.
Honestly, thanks for being real with me. While this didn't help to answer my question asking for sincere advice, I can't argue with you that I have been entirely responsible. You say that it'll be worse than what I think might happen; I've looked up cases on this, and I do know how bad it can get. That's why I'm seeking advice on it. I haven't resolved my case from 2010 because I was legitimately a scared 18 year old who has never done anything of the sort prior to that incident. I got wrapped up with a roommate who was a bad influence, and I was naive and followed her lead, thinking I was invincible as many teenagers do. I know it's still my fault for thinking I could get away with stealing. The point of this is, I'm not trying to run away from anything or anyone anymore. I want to handle this so that I don't have to go around feeling like I have a lot of loose ends. I'm not a liar. What reason do I have to lie to people on a LEGAL forum when I'm trying to figure out what to do? And not "figuring out" in some sneaky, trying-to-get-past-the-law kind of way, but figuring out as in, what can I do to handle this properly, in the best way, with lowest consequences possible due to the fact that I'm still a college student trying to start a career and make my way in this world?

I don't blame you for making assumptions about me. Although I don't agree with everything you said, it's also necessary for me to hear some of those things too. Thanks.

STEPHAN

Is getting a lawyer necessary
Sorry that you did not like my answer. As this will stay on your criminal history forever, I still think that you should hire a professional that knows how to deal with this. But at the end it is your call.

al000

Sorry that you did not like my answer. As this will stay on your criminal history forever, I still think that you should hire a professional that knows how to deal with this. But at the end it is your call.
It's not that I didn't like your answer, but I just don't know how I am going to afford one. I'm still a student, currently unemployed, although I'm looking for work at the moment. I know this is sound advice, so if I can, I'll try my best to hire a lawyer.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
...reschedule my NYC court date.
There is no "rescheduling" of the court date. If you have a warrant for your arrest then you are to return yourself on the warrant as soon as possible. The warrant will be there until you appear.

The next time you get stopped the officer might actually run your name and then you'll end up in jail.

Eekamouse

Honestly, thanks for being real with me. While this didn't help to answer my question asking for sincere advice, I can't argue with you that I have been entirely responsible. You say that it'll be worse than what I think might happen; I've looked up cases on this, and I do know how bad it can get. That's why I'm seeking advice on it. I haven't resolved my case from 2010 because I was legitimately a scared 18 year old who has never done anything of the sort prior to that incident. I got wrapped up with a roommate who was a bad influence, and I was naive and followed her lead, thinking I was invincible as many teenagers do. I know it's still my fault for thinking I could get away with stealing. The point of this is, I'm not trying to run away from anything or anyone anymore. I want to handle this so that I don't have to go around feeling like I have a lot of loose ends. I'm not a liar. What reason do I have to lie to people on a LEGAL forum when I'm trying to figure out what to do? And not "figuring out" in some sneaky, trying-to-get-past-the-law kind of way, but figuring out as in, what can I do to handle this properly, in the best way, with lowest consequences possible due to the fact that I'm still a college student trying to start a career and make my way in this world?

I don't blame you for making assumptions about me. Although I don't agree with everything you said, it's also necessary for me to hear some of those things too. Thanks.
I didn't think you were lying to us about your situation. I meant specifically that you are lying when you claim you didn't know any better when you shoplifted and also when you say you remembered that you have an unresolved shoplifting case against you. Neither of those statements are credible. You knew better than to shoplift and you didn't forget about the open case against you for shoplifting. I think it's great that you are no longer trying to dodge the consequences of your actions and would like to resolve your legal issues so you can put all this behind you. I think you should borrow money from your parents if you have to so you can have legal representation in court. A lawyer can help to minimize the impact this can have on your future by working out an agreement with the DA. JMO. Good luck with this going forward.

al000

I didn't think you were lying to us about your situation. I meant specifically that you are lying when you claim you didn't know any better when you shoplifted and also when you say you remembered that you have an unresolved shoplifting case against you. Neither of those statements are credible. You knew better than to shoplift and you didn't forget about the open case against you for shoplifting. I think it's great that you are no longer trying to dodge the consequences of your actions and would like to resolve your legal issues so you can put all this behind you. I think you should borrow money from your parents if you have to so you can have legal representation in court. A lawyer can help to minimize the impact this can have on your future by working out an agreement with the DA. JMO. Good luck with this going forward.
Saying I "just remembered" was bad wording on my part. Of course I didn't forget, but in lieu of this situation, I remembered that it could pop up in my current case and factor into the consequences. When I shoplifted, of course I knew it was wrong, but I meant I didn't know any better because I wasn't thinking of the high repercussions that would come as a result of my bad decision. I'm honestly really overwhelmed about this. The last thing I want to do is tell my parents. I wanted to try to take care of this myself but after all of your advice, I don't think I have a choice but to inform them, hire an attorney, and hope for the best. At least I feel more informed and definitely more prepared. Thank you again.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The last thing I want to do is tell my parents. I wanted to try to take care of this myself but after all of your advice, I don't think I have a choice but to inform them, hire an attorney, and hope for the best. At least I feel more informed and definitely more prepared. Thank you again.
You're at least 22 years old - as an adult, why do you have to tell your parents?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
You're at least 22 years old - as an adult, why do you have to tell your parents?
Have to tell the parents so they'll help with the $$$$$$ to hire a lawyer... OP is an unemployed college student.

My question: why the fraudulent inspection sticker? Things can happen to plates - some people don't realize they need a front one. And an obstruction can be an oversight (didn't realize those boxes were blocking the line of vision). But doesn't having a fraudulent inspection sticker require more conscious action than an expired inspection sticker? Or are they the same in New Jersey?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">