• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

GA Window Tint Law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

atlcharm

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I was pulled over Friday and ticketed for my window tint being to dark. I explained to the officer that I purchased this from World Toyota this way. His response to me was that's my problem.

I don't think it is fair to the consumer to have to shell out hundreds of dollars to get tint removed when the dealership should have known and disclosed to me that the tint was illegal.

Is there some recourse in the law for this. Someone told me that if you can prove it was purchased this way the ticket will be thrown out but I haven't read that in Georgia law.

Can I go back to the dealer to fix this at no cost to me. How is this my fault. What if I couldn't afford to fix this?

davew128

Is there some recourse in the law for this. Someone told me that if you can prove it was purchased this way the ticket will be thrown out but I haven't read that in Georgia law.
Why don't you ask that someone for a citation to the law being quoted.

Can I go back to the dealer to fix this at no cost to me.
Is that a question? If so, what happened when you asked the dealer?

How is this my fault.
Again, is this a question? If so, the answer is you are supposed to know the rules of the road and what is legal in your state.

What if I couldn't afford to fix this?
Most tint comes off with a razor blade, soap, and some time and effort.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I explained to the officer that I purchased this from World Toyota this way. His response to me was that's my problem.
Common response that doesn't fly.

Contact GA DMV to see if it's legal for a dealer to sell illegally equipped vehicles and if not so, then make a complaint against the dealership.

Go speak to someone at the dealership first - maybe they'll pay the ticket for you.

HighwayMan

Georgia requires no less than 32% visible light transmittance on side windows. That's pretty dark. You're must look pitch black.

hobs

According to the GA. dept of safety, ( H.B. 20 (Window Tint) - Amends 40-8-73.1 - Effective May 2, 2005 ) "windows to either side of driver or in back of vehicle, the light transmission restriction may not be less than 32%, plus or minus 3% or increase light reflectance more than 20%". "Any GA Installer installing tinting in violation of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor".
So, I would say if You can prove that it is within spec, You should be able to get the ticket dropped. If not and you can prove that " It came that way" then Toyota may be liable. Take it to a Toyota dealer and show them the ticket. they might run the window tint scanner thingy and give you a print out to show to the court.

HighwayMan

If not and you can prove that " It came that way" then Toyota may be liable.
That is not an excuse nor does it "transfer" liability.

they might run the window tint scanner thingy and give you a print out to show to the court.
I have never seen a Tint meter that produces a receipt. What make and model are you referring to?

atlcharm

thanks everyone for the advice. The dealership agreed to pay the ticket. Still working on the tint removal - they probably won't agree to that but they should as on my inspection sheet that they did they indicated that the car had tint and was legal. So I think I should have a leg to stand based on that.

HighwayMan

Make sure you get the money from them and then YOU pay the ticket. If you hand them the ticket and they forget about it you'll end up with a suspended license.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">