• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Georgia Hardship License

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dr0n3

This isnt the most appropriate palce for this question, but it is the best place I can find.

I am 16 years old, 17 in 2 months. I live in Georgia. I just got my learnes permit and Georgia law states that I have to hold it for 1 year and a day in order to obtain my driver's license. My predicament is that I am having an extrememly difficult time getting to and from school. I am involved in numerous clubs and athletic programs and living with my single mother who has 2 kids. She cannot always drop everything and drive me everywhere. She also has a chronically debilitating disease where some times she cannot get out of bed for days. I have missed 5 days of school and been tardy 6 times in a matter of only a month and a half. More than 6 of either tardies or absences you are required to appeal them...at this rate I may not even pass my classes (although I have a 3.8 GPA). I also have a problem getting to a from work. The hours I can work are not always convenient for my mother to drive me to and from. This is where my question lies.

Georgia law states that under cases of "extreme hardship" a limited driving permit will be issued. (See hardship law summary here http://www.uslegalforms.com/lawdigest/drivers-hardship-law-digest.php/GA/GA-DRIVE2.htm)
I fit 2 of the 5 requirements for a hardship license. The only hardship form I have found online is for a student who has previously had his/her license suspended. I would like to know what form I can use to apply for this hardship license. If this hardship license is not applicable to me, I would like to know how to go about starting a petition for variance or waiver allowing me to obtain my license. Any information or guidance in the right directions is much appreciated.

EDIT: To those who believe a hardship is only for people who have a suspened license..here is the hardship license description for Tennessee (the state bordering Georgia to the north)

CLASS H (HARDSHIP)
A hardship license (Class H or TH certificate) may be issued to a minor who is fourteen or fifteen years old to operate passenger vehicles or motorcycles. These licenses are issued only in cases of family hardship and are limited to specific needs. Proof of hardship must be submitted with a Hardship Application (SF-0263). Each application is reviewed and evaluated on an individual basis. Less than one percent of all licenses issued to minors are hardship licenses. Applicants who qualify to apply for a hardship license/certificate must pass a vision test, knowledge test, and road test. The Class H license/TH certificate is valid only for daylight hours and for travel to authorized locations as specified on an attachment. Those with a hardship (Class H) license or certificate (TH) who are at least fifteen (15) years old are extended the same privileges as those holding a Class PD license or TPD certificate, when they are accompanied by any of the responsible adults listed for the Class PD/TPD certificate.

Thanks,
Austin

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">