• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Georgia - sell my car after tag expires?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

walkman

My tag is about to expire, but I plan to sell my car in the next couple of weeks & I don't need to drive it in the meantime.

Can I sell my car with an expired tag, or will the state/county still try to collect from me with penalties for being late?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My tag is about to expire, but I plan to sell my car in the next couple of weeks & I don't need to drive it in the meantime.

Can I sell my car with an expired tag, or will the state/county still try to collect from me with penalties for being late?
The person that tries to register the car will end up paying the late fees. But, until that point, they will go after YOU.

YOU should pay it and factor that in to the price of the car. For the buyer, not having to pay registration fees for nearly a year is a plus :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">