• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Going to Court - Change of Address Ticket and Suspension

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cainmanoli

What is the name of your state? California

So my situation is this. I recently got my green card and went to DMV to renew my license at which point I found out it has been suspended because of a ticket from 2006. I asked about it and they told me I did not notify DMV of my change of address.
The thing is I never knew I had to. I just moved to the US in june 2006 and was on a nonresident student visa until january 2008 when I got my green card.
The change of address happened BEFORE I got my first US license. I moved in November 2006 and I got my first license in December 2006.

I'm going to court next week but I've never been before so I don't know how to deal with it. The ticket is 900 dollars so I really don't want to pay it for something I never knew I had to do.

Could you please advise as to what the court experience will be like and what I should do to get it dismissed?

FlyingRon

Ignorance is no excuse. There's no provision to get out of the penalties for things you should have known but didn't.

I am confused? If you moved before you got your first drivers license, then you license was potentially NEVER valid.

Are you going to court, or is this a DMV hearing? Were you actually caught driving with the suspended license?

It's important to always have a valid address on file. If you had you'd have received notice of pending actions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">