• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got a parking ticket when there's only one sign on the whole street

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

clssycalgrl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I moved my car out of the drive-way and parked it on the street. At the time there was a moving truck as well as other cars. I look out my window and see I'm getting a ticket. I come out and ask the guy why I'm getting a ticket. He says that there's only two hour parking. I ask why again and he says again its only two hour parking. I tell him where does it say that. He says its at the start of the street. I tell him, but I'm at the end of the street and there is no sign here. He says there's one at the start of the street. He specifically said "one". I always come from the other side of the street to park where I was parked at the time. I've been parking there for seven years and not once did I get a ticket until now. There were other cars parked too and they were parked longer then me and they didn't get a ticket. He only decided to give me a ticket when clearly there were other cars parked as long if not longer then I was.

When I ask the man why I was getting a ticket he raised his voice at me and told me I wasn't letting him to do his job. I was only asking him a question. He repeatedly said with his voice raised I wasn't letting him do his job. My mother and cousins came out to see what all the commotion was because they were hearing a man talking very loudly. They heard this from inside the house. I didn't raise my voice at all. I calmly was talking and asking him questions. It took him about 15 minutes to write the ticket because he was arguing with me when I wasn't arguing with him. Again, the only question I asked him was "why am I getting a ticket even if I live here."

To make things easier i went inside the house got my keys to move my car. He still wasn't finished when I came out. As he was finishing I said to him just finish and give me my ticket. He then said, "I'm a grown ass man". I said to him, I'm talking to you calmly and in a normal way and he said again "I'm a grown ass man." Again, I said to him, I'm talking to you calmly and normal. This time he turned to my aunt pointed at her and said to her, you see how she's talking, I'm a grown ass man." I didn't say anything to him after that except for "thank you for the ticket and have a nice day."

The man was rude and raised his voice when I did nothing wrong except to ask a question. He became offensive and used vulgar language.

I'm planning on reporting him and contesting the ticket.

What are my chances of winning. There is only one sign on the street and its on one corner. I was parked at the other corner of the street where the sign is not visible.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I moved my car out of the drive-way and parked it on the street. At the time there was a moving truck as well as other cars. I look out my window and see I'm getting a ticket. I come out and ask the guy why I'm getting a ticket. He says that there's only two hour parking. I ask why again and he says again its only two hour parking. I tell him where does it say that. He says its at the start of the street. I tell him, but I'm at the end of the street and there is no sign here. He says there's one at the start of the street. He specifically said "one". I always come from the other side of the street to park where I was parked at the time. I've been parking there for seven years and not once did I get a ticket until now. There were other cars parked too and they were parked longer then me and they didn't get a ticket. He only decided to give me a ticket when clearly there were other cars parked as long if not longer then I was.

When I ask the man why I was getting a ticket he raised his voice at me and told me I wasn't letting him to do his job. I was only asking him a question. He repeatedly said with his voice raised I wasn't letting him do his job. My mother and cousins came out to see what all the commotion was because they were hearing a man talking very loudly. They heard this from inside the house. I didn't raise my voice at all. I calmly was talking and asking him questions. It took him about 15 minutes to write the ticket because he was arguing with me when I wasn't arguing with him. Again, the only question I asked him was "why am I getting a ticket even if I live here."

To make things easier i went inside the house got my keys to move my car. He still wasn't finished when I came out. As he was finishing I said to him just finish and give me my ticket. He then said, "I'm a grown ass man". I said to him, I'm talking to you calmly and in a normal way and he said again "I'm a grown ass man." Again, I said to him, I'm talking to you calmly and normal. This time he turned to my aunt pointed at her and said to her, you see how she's talking, I'm a grown ass man." I didn't say anything to him after that except for "thank you for the ticket and have a nice day."

The man was rude and raised his voice when I did nothing wrong except to ask a question. He became offensive and used vulgar language.

I'm planning on reporting him and contesting the ticket.

What are my chances of winning. There is only one sign on the street and its on one corner. I was parked at the other corner of the street where the sign is not visible.
Report him for what? You had an attitude. Just because you didn't agree doesn't mean you shouldn't be getting the ticket. You didn't ask just one question. You asked the very same question over and over again. Listen to someone ask you the same thing over and over again and YOU might get annoyed, too.

Feel free to challenge the ticket if you think you have a chance. But don't expect much to come of any complaint you choose to file against the officer who ticketed you.

clssycalgrl

I did not have an attitude. I didn't raise my voice. I kept my hands at my side. I didn't give him any facial expressions or tone of voice. I kept my distance and only ask questions. And if I was asked the same question over and over again, yes I would be annoyed but I wouldn't answer a person like the way he did. I have manners and respect for people. Something he should have as well especially towards someone who's respecting him. No one should be talked like that. We are humans beings. And no one has the right to use such language toward someone who is not offending them. Just because he's a parking enforcer does not give him the right to talk to me like that.

CourtClerk

Please. I can get an attitude and NEVER change my tone of voice, but my question to you would be this. After he answered your question the FIRST time, why did you continue to ask the same question over and over? Did you not hear him the first or second time you asked and he answered? What he should have done was contacted law enforcement and had you arrested for interfering with his duties.
I did not have an attitude. I didn't raise my voice. I kept my hands at my side. I didn't give him any facial expressions or tone of voice. I kept my distance and only ask questions. And if I was asked the same question over and over again, yes I would be annoyed but I wouldn't answer a person like the way he did. I have manners and respect for people. Something he should have as well especially towards someone who's respecting him. No one should be talked like that. We are humans beings. And no one has the right to use such language toward someone who is not offending them. Just because he's a parking enforcer does not give him the right to talk to me like that.

sandyclaus

Please. I can get an attitude and NEVER change my tone of voice, but my question to you would be this. After he answered your question the FIRST time, why did you continue to ask the same question over and over? Did you not hear him the first or second time you asked and he answered? What he should have done was contacted law enforcement and had you arrested for interfering with his duties.
Oh, she had an attitude, alright. She kept asking the same question hoping to get a different answer that she liked better. Just like insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

clssycalgrl

Interfering with his duties. He's worked for the city for years. He should know how to do his job. There's no crime in asking a question. He kept repeating the same thing. He didn't even write the citation number right. He didn't even write the ticket right. He wrote a different car brand, no model, and he wrote the vin number wrong. He didn't finish the ticket. I got no ticket number or cost of ticket. He did his job unprofessionally.

I stood on the sidewalk while he stood by my car writing the ticket. There was a great distance between us.

I asked because I'm entitle to, as would you too if you were given a ticket too.

I wasn't hoping to get a different answer. I wanted him to extend his answer and explain it more not in three words "two hour parking." He didn't even answer to when I asked "even if I live here?"

HomeGuru

**A: we would like to see the video.

clssycalgrl

Unfortunately there is no video. I was busy writing down the man's information.

I'm going to call Los Angeles Violation Bureau tomorrow. I've got no ticket number how can I pay? The ticket was written wrong.

sandyclaus

Interfering with his duties. He's worked for the city for years. He should know how to do his job. There's no crime in asking a question. He kept repeating the same thing. He didn't even write the citation number right. He didn't even write the ticket right. He wrote a different car brand, no model, and he wrote the vin number wrong. He didn't finish the ticket. I got no ticket number or cost of ticket. He did his job unprofessionally.

I stood on the sidewalk while he stood by my car writing the ticket. There was a great distance between us.

I asked because I'm entitle to, as would you too if you were given a ticket too.

I wasn't hoping to get a different answer. I wanted him to extend his answer and explain it more not in three words "two hour parking." He didn't even answer to when I asked "even if I live here?"
His job was to write the ticket for the violation, not to explain his actions to your satisfaction. He answered the question when he told you it was only two hour parking. Why do you think it should be different if you lived there?

You may believe you're entitled to ask, and he was just as entitled to not answer, especially when you copped an attitude.

If you want to know the legalities, you are free to hire an attorney who can explain it to you - and charge you a fee commensurate with the attitude you'll surely give them as well.

Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya as you make your way out the door. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

CdwJava

On the back of the citation there should be information on how to contest a citation. Follow those directions. However, the section cited may not require that there be signage every few feet, so you may not prevail.

And, if you wish to make a complaint about the parking enforcement person;s attitude, you call the office and ask what that procedure might be. Understand that you will likely only be informed of the broadest general findings for your complaint and NOT what discipline - if any - might have been applied if the complaint is sustained in any way. And, the attitude issue is a seperate matter from the citation.

What city was this and what code section was cited?

clssycalgrl

I find it amusing how the posts are saying I was the one with attitude. How about the man's attitude. I love how he is the one getting defended. Wait until one of you get a ticket, you'll be in the same shoes as me.

I wonder how you will react if you too were talked to like that. Me, I was calm and cool. There's was no attitude. No tone. No emotions. No raised voice.

As for the ticket, I'll pay for it if it's found it was my fault. I've got funds. I'm not contesting the price only there was only one sign and it was at one corner of the street.

It is about his attitude towards me. He was disrespectful. And I bet I'm not the only one that's gotten an attitude from him. He was probably filling his quota for the day. The cars around me were parked more then two hours and they didn't get a ticket.

A 50+ year old man using slang "ass" to a 24 year old woman, that's disrespecting. And if you don't think so, then I don't know how you talk to people. I don't use slang. I don't use profanity. I respect and I don't offend. I have manners and I will continue to do so even if a person decides to degrade themselves in front of others and on public streets.

This was in Los Angeles in Brentwood.

CdwJava

As for the ticket, I'll pay for it if it's found it was my fault. I've got funds. I'm not contesting the price only there was only one sign and it was at one corner of the street.
And there may be no requirement for the time limit to be posted. This is why I also asked for the specific code section cited.

It is about his attitude towards me. He was disrespectful. And I bet I'm not the only one that's gotten an attitude from him. He was probably filling his quota for the day. The cars around me were parked more then two hours and they didn't get a ticket.
Quotas are illegal, but that doesn't stop this claim from being made all the time.

Understand that the fact that other cars were not cited will not be a defense for yours. It could be that someone called on YOUR car. Or, the parking enforcement officer knew for some reason that yours had been where it was for two hours or more. Don't know.

A 50+ year old man using slang "ass" to a 24 year old woman, that's disrespecting. And if you don't think so, then I don't know how you talk to people. I don't use slang. I don't use profanity. I respect and I don't offend. I have manners and I will continue to do so even if a person decides to degrade themselves in front of others and on public streets.
Unprofessional and inappropriate, perhaps. But, as I mentioned this is a separate mater from the parking cite and can be taken up with the man's employer.

This was in Los Angeles in Brentwood.
And the code section?

FlyingRon

Tickets are not adjudicated on the side of the street. There's no requirement for him to answer questions or listen to your excuses period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">