• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

GRACE PERIOD for NEW SIGNAGE

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Classie83

NYC, NY

Hi everyone. I received a ticket on my residential block. This morning, I was parked on the right side of the block. There are alternate parking rules for this side. I moved before the 11:00am designated cleaning time. Then I came back at around 1:00pm (the cleaning time ends at 12:30), and I think I'm all in the clear to park where I usually park in front of my house. I leave my house at around 3:00 and I see a ticket on my windshield. It states that I was parked where there were signs for No standing. EVERYBODY on that side of the block had tickets. lol

This is the thing...This morning, there were no red No Standing signs on that side of my block! When I came home, I didn't even notice them (but that's probably due to the fact that they had never been there before).

My Question: I want to know what is the grace period (if any) for new signage. I really don't have $115.00 to spend.

Thanks in advanced!

xylene

While your situation is lame and more than a tad bit unfair to local residents (It would have been just to post notice of the change before it happened, its Guiliani time and their is NO requirement to do so), it is your responsibility to check that your vehicle is parked legally EVERY time.

Their is no grace period.

Call 311 and ask what your options are. At least give someone an earfull. Write a letter too.

Classie83

Ok...thanx...:(

Yeah, they obviously put the signs there after the time I left...The block is so narrow it's crazy...There are so many residents and hardly any parking spaces already...now this! lol Oh well...Guess that's life sometimes.

You Are Guilty

You can try to contest it (you'll need to contact the DOT and request the records that show when the signs went up) and hope you get a sympathetic judge, but as noted, there is a .00001 second "grace period". Had the signs gone up while you were parked there, you would have a great defense though.

In any event, should you decide to plead guilty, if you go down to the PVB offices (66 John St) in person and ask for a "settlement" of the ticket, the fine will come out to a little over $86. Small consolation, but money is money.

Classie83

Thanks guys. I don't know where I got this crazy idea that there was a one week grace period for new signage in nyc. Anyway, $86.00 is a lot better than $115.00.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">