• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Handicap Parking in Apartments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ineedanswers

What is the name of your state? Georgia

In front of my apartment there is a handicap parking space (Blue symbol, white lines, and ramp). Since I moved in two months ago there have been a few people parking in the space and on the ramp everyday who are not handicap.

I politely asked one lady to move her vehicle. She complied and hasn't parked there since. After she stopped parking there a woman who is handicapped starting using it. Then others started using it who were not handicapped so I called the office. They told me that "that space is not up to code" I informed them that someone who is handicapped parks there, and that something needs to be done, or I would start calling the police. Nothing was done.

Finally I called the police on two cars that were parked there, the police came out and did nothing about it. Turns out one of the cars belonged to a maintenance man in the apartment complex. Him and his family harassed me over the situation, and spray painted over the symbol with asphalt colored paint. They claim that the police officer said I was crazy.

Am I crazy for caring about the fact that this parking spot was obviously marked handicapped and people who weren't were using it? Is any of this legal? I just want answers. Thank you.

BelizeBreeze

40-6-225. Parking places for persons with disabilities for the nonambulatory.
Any business entity may elect to designate parking places for persons with disabilities for the nonambulatory. Such parking places for the nonambulatory shall be in addition to any parking places for persons with disabilities required by Chapter 3 of Title 30. Such parking places for the nonambulatory shall be clearly marked by a sign bearing the words "Parking for Persons with Disabilities - nonambulatory persons only." Such parking places for the nonambulatory shall only be utilized for the purpose of allowing a nonambulatory permanently disabled person to enter or get out of a vehicle while in such parking place. A vehicle in a parking place for the nonambulatory shall be required to have a valid unexpired parking permit for persons with disabilities or a specially designated license plate for disabled persons authorized under subsection (d) of Code Section 40-6-222. For the purposes of this Code section, the term "nonambulatory permanently disabled person" means a person who is permanently disabled as a result of the loss or loss of use of one or both legs and who is dependent upon crutches, a walker, or a wheelchair for locomotion.

The problem with Georgia is the legislature has no cajones.

In what city do you live?

ineedanswers

I live in Augusta

This is my first time in Georgia, and we have been living overseas for the last three years. I came home with a different perspective and was absolutely mortified by how little compassion and sympathy there is among so many. Those who are compassionate and sympathetic rarely speak up. It makes me very sad

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

ineedanswers said:
This is my first time in Georgia!
(42) "May" means is authorized, but not required, and denotes discretion and permission rather than command. When "may" is used in authorizing a certain action to be taken, it shall also include the authorization to change that action.

Augusta Georgia Traffic Ordinances
Sec. 20-137. Handicapped parking--Law adopted.

(a) Pursuant to section 20-1 of this Code and pursuant to O.C.G.A. §§ 40-6-220 through 40-6-227, such sections of state law are hereby incorporated in this section by reference as and for the handicapped parking laws of this city with the like effect as if recited in this section.

(b) The sign designations for handicapped parking places shall be in accordance with O.C.G.A. § 40-6-221.

(c) Notwithstanding the failure of the property owner to properly mark and sign handicap parking places in accordance with law, it shall be unlawful for any person to stop, stand or park any motor vehicle in any area on public or private property which has been clearly designated and reserved for use by handicapped persons in vehicles displaying a valid handicapped parking permit, unless such vehicle clearly displays a valid unexpired handicapped parking permit or unless there is attached to the vehicle a specifically designated license plate for disabled veterans or other disabled persons authorized under O.C.G.A. § 40-6-222(d). (Ord. No. 20-92, § 15-101, 8-24-92)

The building manager / owner has the authority to alter such parking regulations as they deem fit.

HOWEVER, you may also want to contact the city building code enforcement and/or the permits section. If the apartment complex's plans were approved with handicapped spaces or the department has such within the building code, destroying the markings may result in fines.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">