• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Handicap Parking On My Own Lot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rolldawgs

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CALIFORNIA

Hi all,

We own a business with a small parking lot. It is one way in, one way out and space is very limited. I know it is private property with public access as our business is open to the public. It has one disabled parking spot. We have been here for nearly eight years. When it gets busy, we move and park our vehicles where ever necessary including the disabled parking spot. NOBODY has ever complained or ticketed us or ever had a problem. Today, we received a parking ticket because one of our vehicles (the company owns this vehicle) was parked on the disabled spot. We've had cars parked there at various times over the last eight years and have never had any issues. Is this legal and can it be fought? I mean, it's our car on our own lot. Have we been THAT lucky that we haven't been issued a ticket before?? We double park sometimes to save space, we have customers who just park in the middle of the lot sometimes for a quick in and out. Can they start issuing parking tickets to all our vehicles or even customer vehicles?? Where does the extent of the law stretch to?

Any help would do. Our business has been down and this $350 bill is not going to help at all. Thanks.

tranquility

Handicapped and fire lane are a couple of tickets I believe the police can enforce on private property without an agreement. While I understand and agree with the problem, I don't see an excuse.

LdiJ

Handicapped and fire lane are a couple of tickets I believe the police can enforce on private property without an agreement. While I understand and agree with the problem, I don't see an excuse.
I am actually a little curious. I am wondering what size a parking area has to be before handicapped and fire zones come into play? After all, there are offices etc where there may be only half a dozen, or even less, parking spaces. Would they have to have a designated handicapped spot and a fire zone? It would be interesting to know.

justalayman

Most handicap parking spaces are on private property. The mall, Walmart, the grocery store, and myriad other business are required to provide handicap parking spaces. If you are required to have handicap parking spaces and park in one without a placard, yes, it is a valid ticket.

The only defense I can think of would be if the space does not meet the requirements for a proper HC space. Of course, if it doesn't meet those requirements and not having it would put you below the legally required number of spaces, I suspect that could also result in a hefty fine as well.

The other issues aren't an issue. As tranquility said; handicap spaces and fire lanes. Other than that, park wherever your heart leads you.

OHRoadwarrior

Different states handle requirements for the number of spaces differently. CA as I recollect covers all businesses via state law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">