• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

handicap parking spot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dstephens32

What is the name of your state? california

My daughter went to a b-day party at a state beach. I was told to pick her up between 3 and 3:15. I arrived at 2:55 and started circling the parking area where they would come up. It is down low so I couldn't reach the parent in charge. This is a very busy area servicing probably 20,000 people a day. There is no 5 10 min parking areas anywhere. All curbs are painted red. There is one space , 1 car space near the bathrooms that wasn't painted. I saw one parent who was standing near the stairs where the kids would come up. She flagged me down and said the kids were coming up. She walked back to the stairs and as my daugher is walking up to the car an individual gave me ticket for parking in a handicap spot. I was in the car, the car was running, there was 5 other spots for the handicapped , not being used. I had sat there with the car running maybe 3 minutes , i wasn't trying to get away with anything there was just no place designated for pickup. is there anything I can do about this. thanks

CdwJava

dstephens32 said:
I was in the car, the car was running, there was 5 other spots for the handicapped , not being used. I had sat there with the car running maybe 3 minutes , i wasn't trying to get away with anything there was just no place designated for pickup. is there anything I can do about this. thanks
What section were you cited under?

On the back of the citation should be the administrative procedure you can use to appeal the citation. However, you really have no leg to stand on. You cannot stop, stand or park in a properly marked handicapped space even if you ARE picking up a child, still in the car, or there are additional handicapped spaces available.

The usual appeal procedure includes your paying rhe fine up front before you can schedule the hearing. If you win the hearing the fine would be repaid.

- Carl

CdwJava

For disabled parking ...

22507.8. (a) It is unlawful for any person to park or leave
standing any vehicle in a stall or space designated for disabled
persons and disabled veterans
pursuant to Section 22511.7 or 22511.8,
unless the vehicle displays either a special identification license
plate
issued pursuant to Section 5007 or a distinguishing placard
issued pursuant to Section 22511.55 or 22511.59.
(b) It is unlawful for any person to obstruct, block, or otherwise
bar access to those parking stalls or spaces except as provided in
subdivision (a).

(c) It is unlawful for any person to park or leave standing any
vehicle, including a vehicle displaying a special identification
license plate issued pursuant to Section 5007 or a distinguishing
placard issued pursuant to Section 22511.55 or 22511.59, in either of
the following places:
(1) On the lines marking the boundaries of a parking stall or
space designated for disabled persons or disabled veterans.
(2) In any area of the pavement adjacent to a parking stall or
space designated for disabled persons or disabled veterans that is
marked by crosshatched lines and is thereby designated, pursuant to
any local ordinance, for the loading and unloading of vehicles parked
in the stall or space.
(d) Subdivisions (a), (b), and (c) apply to all offstreet parking
facilities owned or operated by the state, and to all offstreet
parking facilities owned or operated by a local authority.
Subdivisions (a), (b), and (c) also apply to any privately owned and
maintained offstreet parking facility.

Thus, there is no real defense to this. You can only hope that the administrative panel shows mercy.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">