• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Handicap Parking Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Xman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

I recently received a ticket for parking in a Handicap Spot and wanted to know whether it was valid. I pulled up in front of a store to drop off my daughter. After she got out of the car the police officer pulled up behind me walked over to my window and asked me whether I had a handicap decal. Since I did not have one, he issued a ticket. I was not actually in the spot and I had only stopped there momentarily (engine still running). I am unable to find any particular definition of parking. Can you advise?

Thanks!

justalayman

I was not actually in the spot and I had only stopped there momentarily
please explain that a bit more. Either you were on or within the lines of the parking space and/or any associated reserved space typically designated by a crosshatched marking or you weren't.

there is no "momentarily" or "engine running" exemption so they are irrelevent to the question.

Xman

When I say "momentarily" I meant I was there less than a minute. I was not in the parking spot but was perpendicular to the parking spot. Instead of turning into the spot, I just stopped in front of it. Hope that clarifies.

Thanks!

Indiana Filer

When I say "momentarily" I meant I was there less than a minute. I was not in the parking spot but was perpendicular to the parking spot. Instead of turning into the spot, I just stopped in front of it. Hope that clarifies.

Thanks!
Were you blocking the spot, or where you in the spot? Either way, sounds like you have a ticket to pay.

justalayman

man have you got the most unreadable statutes I have ever seen. Somebody ought to be whacking somebody with a stick for writing them in the fashion they have.

anyway, for some reason I could not copy and paste the germane section but from what I could decipher, even blocking such a parking spot is a violation of the laws.

is there a code or statute listed on the ticket. I can try to muddle throught that stuff again to verify if you have such info but as I see it, you are in fact guilty of the offense.

this is the only state I have seen so far that makes stopping in front of the space a vilation.

Xman

The code listed on the citation is:

Group G: 01 Handicap Parking

Thanks, justalayman.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">