• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Handicap parking ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lydiafrances

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California, Valencia

I received a ticket for parking in a hanicap space. i was unaware that i was parked in a handicap space because the sign post was on a hill 18 feet away from the front parking bumper and behind a chain link fence.

there was a sign posted on the chain link fence 15 feet way from front bumper and across a sidewalk. however, i didnt notice the sign that far away.
is there a standard for sinage for handicap parking space? i cant believe that you can have a valid sign post behind a barrier and that far away. the parking space was clearly painted but i came in the wrong way and parked behind a large truck and again didnt notice the paint markings.

thanks for any help

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California, Valencia

I received a ticket for parking in a hanicap space. i was unaware that i was parked in a handicap space because the sign post was on a hill 18 feet away from the front parking bumper and behind a chain link fence.

there was a sign posted on the chain link fence 15 feet way from front bumper and across a sidewalk. however, i didnt notice the sign that far away.
is there a standard for sinage for handicap parking space? i cant believe that you can have a valid sign post behind a barrier and that far away. the parking space was clearly painted but i came in the wrong way and parked behind a large truck and again didnt notice the paint markings.

thanks for any help
**A: the space was clearly marked so you guilty.

CdwJava

I would argue that it was NOT properly marked (assuming this is a public street). CVC 22511.8 requires that the sign be posted "immediately adjacent to, and visible from, each stall or space." Fifteen feet away, on a fence across the sidewalk would not appear to comply with this requirement.

There are also other requirements for the parking space which can be found at 22511.8 ...

CA Codes (veh:22500-22526)

In my experience a great many handicapped parking spaces are improperly marked - especially when they are on private property such as retail strip malls.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">