• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Handicap parking ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

clried82

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

I received a ticket for parking in a handicapped spot, but the spot isn't a handicapped spot. There is no sign on the spot and there is no marking on the ground. The spots on either side are both handicapped but this one isn't because of its location there is no place to put a sign. It is parking at the apartments where I live. I talked to the apartment manager and she said that spot isn't handicapped and that someone else received a ticket last year and fought it and a judge called her to ask about it.

I already wasted two hours at the police station getting a long form ticket so I can fight it, but I'm wondering if there is an easier way to fight the ticket being someone else has already fought the same battle. It's a 200 dollar ticket and I am probably going to have to miss two days of work to fight it which is going to cost me more than the ticket itself. I am determined not to pay it without a fight, but am wondering what recourse I will have if I fight it and win. Can I sue the officer in small claims for lost wages, can I file a complaint for filing a false report. What can I do

justalayman

The spots on either side are both handicapped but this one isn't because of its location there is no place to put a sign.

can you explain that? Why would there not be space directly in front of the parking space to put a sign?

are you sure you are not speaking of a crosshatched area adjacent to a HC parking space?

no, the guy that fought the ticket previously will not get you an automatic win. For all anybody knows that decision was wrong. If you could find the person you might be able to obtain whatever proof they used to win and use it in your situation but that is about it.

clried82

There is a bench and cement area and it wasn't feasible for a sign to be placed there so it was left as a regular parking space. No sign, no markings on the ground, no crosshatches, nothing.
I have pictures of the spot but don't see anywhere to upload them

justalayman

You cannot upload them

but simply put: if the parking space does not comply with the requirements of a HC space, then it is not a valid HC space and as such, impossible to issue a valid ticket. Your pictures should exonerate you.

There must be some reason the cop issued a ticket though. For some reason apparently the cop believes it is in fact a HC parking space. Any idea what that might be?

clried82

You cannot upload them

but simply put: if the parking space does not comply with the requirements of a HC space, then it is not a valid HC space and as such, impossible to issue a valid ticket. Your pictures should exonerate you

There must be some reason the cop issued a ticket though. For some reason apparently the cop believes it is in fact a HC parking space. Any idea what that might be?
I think the officer just assumed, wrongly, that there was markings on the ground under the car. Or just pure incompetence, it took three officers and 30 minutes for them to figure out how to write a long form ticket.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">