• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Handicap Parking Ticket help :(

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DriveSafeplease

What is the name of your state? California Van Nuys
I just got a hadicap ticket right now that is 330$ I was just dropping my friend off at the bank to go home so i just drove in the hadicap zone. I was still in the car and the car was on and when i was about to leave some parking dude went up and started to write a ticket. Is this a legit parking ticket? i was just there for like 30 seconds and the place was was almost empty about 10 cars but its a really big parking lot and the stores where closed. I am only a high school student and i dont know if i can pay this. what should i do? i am still shakey right now this was around 10 pm

Last edited:

The Occultist

Yes, it is a valid ticket. Your vehicle cannot occupy a handicap parking space for any length of time, whether or not you're in the vehicle, and whether or not it is turned on, unless the vehicle is equipped with a plate/placard showing on your vehicle showing that it's ok for you to do so. Maybe next time your able friend should walk the extra 30 feet, eh?

CdwJava

DriveSafeplease said:
is der anyway i can reduce this ticket? this really sucks :(
On the back of the citation should be instructions on how to have a hearing with the city bureaucracy on the ticket. However, keep in mind that most cities do not allow the hearing board to reduce tickets, only to accept or reject your argument. And, I will bet they have heard your argument before.

Sorry. Consider this an expensive lesson.

- Carl

Ozark_Sophist

The ticket would be valid even if you were a handicap driver dropping off or picking up an able body passenger. Accessible spaces are for the USE of individuals with a handicap and who have the required plate or placard along with the paperwork.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">