• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Handicap parking violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pagan1995

What is the name of your state? NJ (Jersey City)

Hello Forum

I just received a failure to appear notice from the courts. The violation was for parking in a designated handicapped spot.

In my 25 plus years driving, I have never done such a thing. Now I received this violation, and I have no idea what I should do.

A ticket was never posted on my vehicle.

How can I dispute this in court?

Please advise :(

Thanks

IAAL-17

Pagan1995 said:
What is the name of your state? NJ (Jersey City)

Hello Forum

I just received a failure to appear notice from the courts. The violation was for parking in a designated handicapped spot.

In my 25 plus years driving, I have never done such a thing. Now I received this violation, and I have no idea what I should do.

A ticket was never posted on my vehicle.

How can I dispute this in court?

Please advise :(

Thanks

My response:

Ummmm, call the court Clerk? Yeah, that's a good idea!

IAAL

Pagan1995

Hello IAAL

Thanks for the advise.

This whole situation is very disturbing.

Since I was unaware of the violation; and I also can't prove I did not comit this violation, how can I challenge this violation in court?

Thanks again
Pagan1995

gawm

Pagan1995 said:
Hello IAAL

Thanks for the advise.

This whole situation is very disturbing.

Since I was unaware of the violation; and I also can't prove I did not comit this violation, how can I challenge this violation in court?

Thanks again
Pagan1995

I think you just answered your own question. You can't!

Pagan1995

Hello Gawm

Thanks for your response!

Do you or any one in the forum feel that it would be a good idea to try to plead my case in front of the judge?

I was hoping to explain how the handicap parking spots are limited in this area, and that the said violation toke place only a block away from the precinct; where police and traffic agents come up and down the avenue constantly.

I know that someone would have definetely called the police to have my vehicle towed away.

With this information, would the judge give me the benefit of the doubt and maybe reduce the violation amount?

Any response will be appreciated.

Thanks
Pagan1995

gawm

Pagan1995 said:
Hello Gawm

Thanks for your response!

Do you or any one in the forum feel that it would be a good idea to try to plead my case in front of the judge?

I was hoping to explain how the handicap parking spots are limited in this area, and that the said violation toke place only a block away from the precinct; where police and traffic agents come up and down the avenue constantly.

I know that someone would have definetely called the police to have my vehicle towed away.

With this information, would the judge give me the benefit of the doubt and maybe reduce the violation amount?

Any response will be appreciated.

Thanks
Pagan1995

Courts are usually not flexible when it comes to parking in handicap spaces. What you would be doing if you went in front of a judge is adding on some extra $ in court fees than if you just paid it. Unless you can prove your car was somewhere else at the time, I don't see how you would be successful in disputing the ticket.

efflandt

Request a copy of the ticket or description of the vehicle on the ticket. It is possible that someone wrote the wrong plate number or illegibly.

I received a delinquent notice for a Chicago parking ticket once, and when I checked my sales calls, was in Ohio that day. I gave them a description of my vehicle (easily verified with state computer), told them I was out of state that day, and never heard from them again.

People have also posted here with tickets they DID deserve that had plate number errors on them (or wrong state).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">