• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Handicap parking violation (x2)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

one6zero

What is the name of your state? California

I witnessed a person receive a citation which included: 1) blocking a handicap crosshatch zone ($425), and 2) parking in a handicap zone ($425). The vehicle was mainly in the crosshatch zone yet had one tire slightly in the main handicap parking zone.

This zone was designated for only one vehicle. I believe that this driver should have received only one citation for blocking one space. If the driver were to have parked directly into this space (and definitely blocked somebody who may have needed it), only one citation would have been given. That doesn't sound right to me.

And if that doesn't sound crazy, maybe this other story will: I once had a friendly little debate with a police officer who stated that it is illegal for an actual handicap driver to park in a single handicap space while slightly blocking its own crosshatch zone. :confused: WHAT? The officer also agreed with this stated law. :eek: I think he lost his mind

Could someone please help me do some further research on the laws related to this issue? I would also like to hear some opinions. Thank you.

CdwJava

If your friend contests the cites he will likely only have to pay one of them.

They are technically seperate violations, but it would be silly to cite for both of them.

- Carl

patstew

CdwJava said:
If your friend contests the cites he will likely only have to pay one of them.
They are technically seperate violations, but it would be silly to cite for both of them.
- Carl
From the original poster's message:
"The vehicle was mainly in the crosshatch zone yet had one tire slightly in the main handicap parking zone."

It's been my experience that "slightly" is a relative term frequently understated by the offender. Without pictures, who can say?

Thank God and the city council, our parking officers will soon have new handhelds with built-in cameras.

CdwJava

patstew said:
Thank God and the city council, our parking officers will soon have new handhelds with built-in cameras.
I tried to get that past our council, but they did not think it worthwhile.

Unfortunately, government tends to be reactive rather than proactive. So, either something happened and the city went through a hassle, or someone identified some grant or expiring budget finds to use for the purpose. Of course, you could just have a proactive council! Sometimes cities DO look ahead (at least until the devices break or get lost).

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">