• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

handicap ticket. new to area and spot covered in snow/ice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Atomicvolcano

What is the name of your state? IL, town forest park

My boyfriend and I just moved into a new apartment three days ago on Friday Dec 7th. To save a small amount of money, we decided to pay the village $40 and get a monthly day/night pass for a village lot two blocks from our apartment.

Sunday night Dec 9th, we come home in the dark @ 9pm and find there is one space still open with snow and ice on it. Two cars are parked directly next to it. I come out this morning to find a handicap ticket on my windshield. There are absolutely NO signs around the area. The space to the right of the car has the white slash marks, but when we parked there last night another car was parked in that space. Under the car was a white handicap paint sign. There's no way we would have parked there if we had any idea it was handicapped.

Do you think it may be possible to fight this ticket? I don't think there is anyway we could have known about the spot. We've only been parking in this lot for 3 days and there's been snow and ice the whole time. $250 is alot to pay for parking in a lot we were careful to pay the village for.

Advice is appreciated. I'm just really upset about this. Thanks

The Occultist

IL law is set up to state that the spot is enforceable, regardless of whether or not there are signs as per state code, as long as a reasonable person may reasonably ascertain that it is a spot reserved for one with disabilities. That is the angle you will want to go with when you fight your citation. I don't believe you will receive any penalties for attempting to fight it, so you've nothing to lose by doing so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">