• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Handicapped Parking...for 3 minutes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

claym711

What is the name of your state? Texas

I recently received a parking ticket in College Station, Texas. I pulled into a handipcapped spot to drop off my wife's medication and left the car running with the flashers on. I was gone from the car no longer than 3 minutes and came back to a ticket on the windshield (this was on Texas A&M University property). I dont know what the actual law states about parking in a handicapped spot, but this seems very innaporpriate to receive a ticket for this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

ceara19

claym711 said:

I recently received a parking ticket in College Station, Texas. I pulled into a handipcapped spot to drop off my wife's medication and left the car running with the flashers on. I was gone from the car no longer than 3 minutes and came back to a ticket on the windshield (this was on Texas A&M University property). I dont know what the actual law states about parking in a handicapped spot, but this seems very innaporpriate to receive a ticket for this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
What's so inappropriate about it? You parked in a handicap spot. It doesn't matter if it was 3 seconds, 3 minutes or 3 hours, it's still against the law. It doesn't matter WHERE the parking spot was located either. If it is a designated handicap spot and you are an able bodied person, you can't park there. How do you know that a person that REALLY needed the spot didn't arrive during those 3 minutes?

stephenk

claym711 said:

You should be counting your blessings your vehicle wasn't stolen during the 3 minutes you left it running.

how lazy are you?

ceara19

stephenk said:
You should be counting your blessings your vehicle wasn't stolen during the 3 minutes you left it running.

how lazy are you?
Also, he should be happy that he only got ONE ticket. In Texas, it's illegal to leave an unattended vehicle running.

Shay-Pari'e

claym711 said:

Your crystal ball told you that no one would be needing that space during your few mins. away?

Grow Up!

ceara19

Shay-Pari'e said:
Your crystal ball told you that no one would be needing that space during your few mins. away?

Grow Up!
So he's the one that stole the crystal ball? Guess he didn't know how it worked. :cool:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
claym711 said:

The advice is PAY IT! You broke the law as the other posters have told you. Good grief. If you dont' have a handicap permit you don't park, stop or sit in the handicap spot.

rmet4nzkx

claym711 said:

It is legally very inappropriate to park in a disabled parking space without a permit, which is enforcable even in private parking, university police can cite you. Take the cost of the ticket, divide by 3, that will give you the per minute cost of parking.

Be thankful you don't need a disability parking permit.

claym711

Alright, idiots. Let me spell it out, since you are obviously all too dense to put one and two together. It makes four.

I was standing around the corner of the entrance pavilion (where cars would enter the parking lot) If anyone had entered the parking lot, i would have been able to move my car immediately. A parking citation officer was in the lot already (hiding in the bushes).

Thanks for the help

BelizeBreeze

claym711 said:

I recently received a parking ticket in College Station, Texas. I pulled into a handipcapped spot to drop off my wife's medication and left the car running with the flashers on
your flashers on makes no difference. Without a handicapped placard properly displayed you were illegally parked. Period.
. I was gone from the car no longer than 3 minutes and came back to a ticket on the windshield (this was on Texas A&M University property).
The law doesn't distinguish between sitting in the car with the engine on or being gone 1, 2 or 60 minutes. As far as the law, as written, is concerned, your auto was within the boundaries of a handicapped parking spot without legal rights to be there.
I dont know what the actual law states about parking in a handicapped spot, but this seems very innaporpriate to receive a ticket for this.
And parking in a handicapped spot when you are not handicapped is not?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Yes, either pay the fine and stop parking in (for you) a no-parking spot or, enter the hospital, have both legs cut off at the bone, a diagonal cut out of each bone, have the legs reattached with screws and bolts, walk like that for two years, then return to the hospital to have the bolts removed and learn to walk again.

THEN, maybe you'll have a right to park in that spot, although I never do.

rmet4nzkx

claym711 said:
Alright, idiots. Let me spell it out, since you are obviously all too dense to put one and two together. It makes four.

I was standing around the corner of the entrance pavilion (where cars would enter the parking lot) If anyone had entered the parking lot, i would have been able to move my car immediately. A parking citation officer was in the lot already (hiding in the bushes).

Thanks for the help
Idoit,
Tell it to the judge.

patstew

claym711 said:

I recently received a parking ticket in College Station, Texas. I pulled into a handipcapped spot to drop off my wife's medication and left the car running with the flashers on.
'Round here, the parking officers say a big THANK YOU to those who leave their flashers on, 'cause it draws their attention to the vehicle!

mb94

I think you should fight this ticket. After all, you don't have the time or energy to find a parking spot and walk all the way over to your wife. And I'm sure it would have been impossible for your wife to come outside and meet you to get what she needed.

You go in and tell the judge exactly how your comfort is much more important than everyone elses, especially a disabled person. Be sure to mention that the rules don't apply to you.

Come back and tell us how it goes.

Shay-Pari'e

claym711 said:

I was standing around the corner of the entrance pavilion (where cars would enter the parking lot) If anyone had entered the parking lot, i would have been able to move my car immediately. A parking citation officer was in the lot already (hiding in the bushes).Thanks for the help
Umm, doesn't that make YOU the idiot?

weenor

claym711 said:
A parking citation officer was in the lot already (hiding in the bushes).

Why that's entrapment!!! No citation officer should ever be lurking in the bushes to give out parking tickets...I wouldn't stand for such a violation of my consitutional rights. This issue must be addressed by the U.S. Supreme Court. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">