+ Reply to Thread
    grandchamp is offline Junior Member

Handicapped parking in front of my house

What is the name of your state? CO

I recently received a parking ticket in front of my house for parking too close to a fire hydrant. The vehicle is a van with a ramp for an electric wheelchair attached at the rear. It is basically a 3 ft wide platform with a ramp that attaches to the 2" metal towing hitch. The van will not fit in the garage or the driveway with this attached, and you cannot get my son's electric wheelchair loaded and unloaded with incline of the driveway. The curb space is not adequate to be 5ft from the driveway and 15ft from the fire hydrant.

Right now, I am left with 2 choices. Park in front of the neighbor's house, or park in the driveway and remove the 150 lb lift every time. Removing the lift is not an option for my wife. The electric wheelchair will not fit in another vehicle.

My question is, can you get an exception to the 15 ft rule under the protections afforded by the Americans with Disabilities Act? The ramp and van to not block the fire hydrant. If it did, I couldn't unload my son's 500 lb electric wheelchair. I feel the parking rules are in effect discriminating against my handicapped son.

Thanks for any input.
    rmet4nzkx is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grandchamp
    What is the name of your state? CO

I recently received a parking ticket in front of my house for parking too close to a fire hydrant. The vehicle is a van with a ramp for an electric wheelchair attached at the rear. It is basically a 3 ft wide platform with a ramp that attaches to the 2" metal towing hitch. The van will not fit in the garage or the driveway with this attached, and you cannot get my son's electric wheelchair loaded and unloaded with incline of the driveway. The curb space is not adequate to be 5ft from the driveway and 15ft from the fire hydrant.

Right now, I am left with 2 choices. Park in front of the neighbor's house, or park in the driveway and remove the 150 lb lift every time. Removing the lift is not an option for my wife. The electric wheelchair will not fit in another vehicle.

My question is, can you get an exception to the 15 ft rule under the protections afforded by the Americans with Disabilities Act? The ramp and van to not block the fire hydrant. If it did, I couldn't unload my son's 500 lb electric wheelchair. I feel the parking rules are in effect discriminating against my handicapped son.

Thanks for any input.
    You may seek a variance to the local/state codes/ordinances, contact your cities ADA coordinator, they will in turn help you and your son to help with this problem perhaps making the space into handicapped parking.