• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

handicapped parking ticketed and is there a cvc law code for this

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What is the name of your state? california

Hi i am totally confused and kinda pissed cause the school had messed with me before and wants to argue about it now. they say they are correct on this ticket.

time: october 24, 2007 wed 15:16 hours

facts:

my vehicle has the front and rear license plate displayed with the handicapped logo in blue. issued by the state of CA DMV to me. i am completely legal by law with my registation and with my license placard.

story:

well i couldnt find any parking in the handicapped zone. so i used the meter parking. i came back about 3 hours later and i got a ticket on my car.

it says in the remark area this:
remark 1 - exceeded requisite time paid
remark 2 - H-plcrd not valid w/out CSULB pmt

i called and talked to a supervisor in the parking enforcement dept of the school.
i said i was just a visitor and that by law i do not have to fill up the meter. she said i was supposed to still have a parking pass. i told her that i dont think i am supposed to have a pass. i dont need a pass because of the location (meters) i parked and of course i am just a visitor, i no longer go there (graduated years ago).
well she went on and said that its like if i was to park at disneyland. if i was in their parking lot i would still have to pay for the parking. as far as i remember, i dont think there are any meter parking spots in the main lot. they do have handicapped parking but no meter parking.

i got a ticket like this but in the handicapped location before many many years before on the same campus. before i paid but this time i want to fight it. i feel they dont really know what they are talking about and just trying to make money on people who dont know what the law is.

1. am i wrong that i need a pass? (curious so whats the point of paying for the meter if you still need a pass )
was i wrong and that the meter isnt governed by the cvc code because its on the college campus or is the cvc code that i saw on the meter governed by the state rules?

I had asked an employee at the DMV before if i needed a pass. they said no. I also knew a guy who worked for another college in california called orange coast college. he worked in the parking enforcement dept as well. he said they dont ticket people who park in the handicapped zone with the placard displayed cause they its against the law to ticket them for that even with out a student pass.

to me the pass doesnt make sense. because i am a visitor why would i have a student pass. also i am parking in a meter parking. there is no requirement for a pass if i understand the cvc code. as for the meter isnt it supposed to be ruled by california and not a college?

2. are they right? or am i?
3. is there a site online that i can print this rule out to say that any meter i park at with my proper handicapped placard displayed will rule out any other requirement placed by a private company?

please help. i am very frustrated and need to help others because they dont know like i once didnt!!What is the name of your state?

for those who probably got confused cause of my bable

summary:
parked on a college campus

metered parking lot

have a handicapped placard, legally showing.

got a ticket for not feeding meter and not having a student pass parking with my handicapped placard in meter parking lot.

argued with parking lot dept supervisor. she said i need to have a student pass parking even if i parked in the meter lots. :confused: this one confuses me plenty?

edit:

the more i think about this and say it out, trying to explain it. i believe what they are doing is incorrect.

Last edited:

CourtClerk

remark 1 - exceeded requisite time paid
remark 2 - H-plcrd not valid w/out CSULB pmt

1. am i wrong that i need a pass?

was i wrong and that the meter isnt governed by the cvc code because its on the college campus or is the cvc code that i saw on the meter governed by the state rules?

to me the pass doesnt make sense. because i am a visitor why would i have a student pass.

Because it's not a student pass, it's a parking pass and ANYONE who parks on the school property requires one...

also i am parking in a meter parking. there is no requirement for a pass if i understand the cvc code. as for the meter isnt it supposed to be ruled by california and not a college?

They are correct in that you do not need to feed the meter, but you DO require a parking pass...

2. are they right? or am i?

Half and half

3. is there a site online that i can print this rule out to say that any meter i park at with my proper handicapped placard displayed will rule out any other requirement placed by a private company?

please help. i am very frustrated and need to help others because they dont know like i once didnt!!What is the name of your state?
There is no such a beast, it does covered metered parking, however, they've got you on the parking pass.

There is no such a beast, it does covered metered parking, however, they've got you on the parking pass.
so you are saying i would still need a pass even in the meter lot?????

here is what i understand with everyone i had talked too.

meter, no matter where.

meter, you pay. you park
meter, handicapped placard, no pay. you park
meter, at school, you pay, you park! NO need for a pass.
meter, at school, handicapped placard (replaces the money), you park. so how the world does that translate into i need a pass?

everyone can still park there without a pass if you pay the meter. the handicapped placard allows the NO PAY part of the meter.

i didnt put down the cvc code on the meter but i am sure it just says on the code that if i didnt pay the meter i better have a handicapped placard. not a student pass. they want a STUDENT pass!!! i am NOT a student but a visitor!!!

Last edited:

CourtClerk

If you park on the school's property and they require a parking pass to do so... you buy the parking pass (what is it a dollar or 2 for the day???) - that money goes to the school

If you then choose to park at the meter... you don't pay the meter. <--- not all this money does.

the point is that there is no signs that says meter needs a parking pass along with the meter. then whats the point of the meter if you need a pass? isnt that a double waaaammmyyy to you at all?? so you pay for a pass and then you pay the meter again??? its supposed to be one or the other not both. now i am curious, do you double pay for things you buy all the time? cause if that is the case i would love to sell you stuff.

here is what they have.

they have different types of parking. with different areas for these.

1. staff and teacher parking pass
2. student pass for each semester
3. meter parking

1. staff and teacher have their assigned locations
2. students pass have their own lots
3. meter parking are on only certain locations as well. these are for visitor and guests.

each pass and meter has its own location.

if i had a student pass i couldnt park in the teachers.
if i had a teachers i couldnt park in the student
and neither can park in the meter. and if you nee to pay there is no need for the pass. they are only saying the pass is needed for the handicapped users at the meter. if i had paid no need for the student pass.

another interesting fact:
i asked to see where i could find this rule about the meter needing a student pass if i use a handicapped placard. they said they dont know where u can find it but it is there :confused: hmmm

Last edited:

please someone who knows the law please advise. especially someone with knowledge of the ADA section.

Ok.. good luck. Pay the ticket, contest it, lose - then take it to Long Beach Court. Lose again.

ok. so, when your at a your cities, civic center and how do you pay for the parking?

or do you just pay the meter ?

or do you pay for an all day pass?

or do pay for both ... meter and all day pass? :confused:

i am assuming it would be only one not both.
the school i am at has meter and all day pass. but if i am at the meter they want the pass only if i use a handicapped placard. do you get it yet? if i dont use the placard i just need to feed the meter.

aka: ( how i am hearing this from the supervisor) if your a minority you need to pay an extra toll, if your white you dont need too. does this look easier to read now?

Last edited:

CourtClerk

ok. so, when your at a your cities, civic center and how do you pay for the parking?

or do you just pay the meter ?

or do you pay for an all day pass?

or do pay for both ... meter and all day pass? :confused:
Actually, when I went to Long Beach State, I paid the day pass.... and parked at the meter with my disabled placard (does this now give you a hint???)

As for the civic center, etc... I work for the government... I don't pay for parking. However, generally, you go to the metered parking on the street (usually closer to the building anyway) and park. By the way... no civic center I know of in the South Bay even HAS a day pass... They all have metered parking.

Not Long Beach, not Seal Beach, not Torrance, not Gardena, not Hawthorne... none of them. In fact... you can drive right into all of their parking lots right from the street.

i see where you are comming from now.

i am not that way. i will not submit to someone who cant explain it and who works in their dept. i will question their actions. if they dont have the necessary proof then i wont rest till it is fixed. at this point they dont have the proof. other colleges dont do this cause of the law in california.

the civic center is an made up example. the school explaination it doesnt make sense so i gave you a general explaination. i am not a follower if someone says its soo with out proper documentation. if they had something already out there saying it is so then i would be asking for help on here.

are you an attorney? what do you do for the gov?

Last edited:

See my Screen name...
ok i c. well nice to meet u and dont take my current anger at them personally, i am just still very upset at this and i know when i talked to a dmv clerk she specifically told me schools can not over ride the laws of the county. since you work for the gov, you agree their rules can not over ride federal law. but its not even that. i asked to see the rules and they couldnt even provide it. they just want payment.

CourtClerk

ok i c. well nice to meet u and dont take my current anger at them personally, i am just still very upset at this and i know when i talked to a dmv clerk she specifically told me schools can not over ride the laws of the county. since you work for the gov, you agree their rules can not over ride federal law. but its not even that. i asked to see the rules and they couldnt even provide it. they just want payment.
To my knowledge...Federal Law doesn't speak on day passes for parking...

They are not at ALL trying to usurp federal law.

quincy

Unless there is a special ordinance in the city you were ticketed in, the California Vehicle Code section 22511.5 says that those with special handicapped plates or placards are allowed to park for unlimited periods in any metered parking space without being required to pay parking meter fees (unless a law or ordinance reserves the space for special types of vehicles). Unless these parking spaces were reserved, then, for only people with student passes, you should not have been ticketed (if I am reading the CVC properly).

Unless there is a special ordinance in the city you were ticketed in, the California Vehicle Code section 22511.5 says that those with special handicapped plates or placards are allowed to park for unlimited periods in any metered parking space without being required to pay parking meter fees (unless a law or ordinance reserves the space for special types of vehicles). Unless these parking spaces were reserved, then, for only people with student passes, you should not have been ticketed (if I am reading the CMV properly).

thank you. your statement sound exactly like how the dmv personnel said it. she told me that the schools will try to do ticket people. they are twisting the rules. i believe the main rule is that if the person was to park in the blue handicapped location they would need the student permit, but in the meter section there is no need for the permit. the regular handicapped spots are located in a different location of the lot so people dont get it wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">