• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Handitrap

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Butlerpg2002

NY- My employee parked a van in a handicapped spot at a school on a Saturday. He was finishing a renovation and loading the van. Parking lot was completely empty and all doors to the school were locked. The handicapped spot was right outside of the locked door that he was accessing to load the van. Is this worth losing another days work to argue
Custodian told me (after the fact) that the officer targets that spot on weekend for easy money

Proserpina

NY- My employee parked a van in a handicapped spot at a school on a Saturday. He was finishing a renovation and loading the van. Parking lot was completely empty and all doors to the school were locked. The handicapped spot was right outside of the locked door that he was accessing to load the van. Is this worth losing another days work to argue
Custodian told me (after the fact) that the officer targets that spot on weekend for easy money

Handitrap?

REALLY?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Argue what? That your employee was dense? That your employee has no regard for the law? That you are of the same mind as your employee?

Argue what? That your employee was dense? That your employee has no regard for the law? That you are of the same mind as your employee?
Well I dont know if cops are above the law here in Florida but today I was at McDonalds and 2 Sheriffs come in and guess where one of them parked his car? Hmmmm,,,Do I hear Gomer Pyle yelling "citizen's arrest citizen's arrest". Could that be done?

Last edited:

sandyclaus

Perhaps the officer targets that spot on weekends because he knows that the office is closed, and therefore no one would be legitimately using it for its intended purpose as a handicapped parking space.

That being said, it really doesn't matter. If either you or your employee - or anyone else, for that matter - were using a handicapped space that you were not legally entitled to use, then you'd deserve the ticket regardless of when it was issued. By doing so on the weekend, it just makes it that much easier to spot the violation - and to get a ticket rightfully issued for it.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I would make employee pay for his ticket. He earned it.
I agree provided that the employer hadn't told his employee that he could ignore such signs of could park there since it was a weekend or somehow advised the employee to do this -- then they should split the cost at the very least for both being stupid.

OHRoadwarrior

Well I dont know if cops are above the law here in Florida but today I was at McDonalds and 2 Sheriffs come in and guess where one of them parked his car? Hmmmm,,,Do I hear Gomer Pyle yelling "citizen's arrest citizen's arrest". Could that be done?
Instead of whining about it, did you get the unit number and report him?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
NY- My employee parked a van in a handicapped spot at a school on a Saturday.
It makes no difference. The signs are enforceable 24/7 including holidays. You can fight anything you'd like, but in this case my opinion is that it would be a total waste of time. There is no defense or justification here.

Antigone*

The whole dang parking lot was empty and he had to pick the spot reserved for the disabled? Really:confused:. He deserved that ticket.

tranquility

It makes no difference. The signs are enforceable 24/7 including holidays. You can fight anything you'd like, but in this case my opinion is that it would be a total waste of time. There is no defense or justification here.
While I believe this is correct, how sad. The letter of the law rules the spirit when quotas (Ooops, I'm sorry--performance goals.), get involved.

Make a complaint against the cop. It will lead to nothing other than his supervisor knowing how he gets his cites.

HighwayMan

The letter of the law rules the spirit
In this case I would disagree. A parking spot for disabled motorists can be used at any time. There are school events held on weekends and evenings and there may be disabled staff needing access during off hours.

Make a complaint against the cop. It will lead to nothing other than his supervisor knowing how he gets his cites.
Complaint based upon what? A legitimate parking ticket issued? The operator apparently didn't even have contact with the officer, and was clearly in violation.

LdiJ

In this case I would disagree. A parking spot for disabled motorists can be used at any time. There are school events held on weekends and evenings and there may be disabled staff needing access during off hours.

Complaint based upon what? A legitimate parking ticket issued? The operator apparently didn't even have contact with the officer, and was clearly in violation.
Empty parking lot?...that makes all spaces basically handicapped accessible.

Ok, it was kind of dumb for the person to use the handicapped spot even if the entire parking lot was empty and they were loading and unloading materials. However, at the same time it was kind of silly for the cop to issue a ticket to someone loading and unloading materials in an otherwise empty parking lot. The schools in my area generally have about a dozen spaces in the front with a couple of handicapped spots, spots for the principal and top administration and the rest for visitors. Then, in the back they have the main parking lot with a couple more handicapped spots.

HighwayMan

Sorry, this is something (along with fire hydrant violations) that I have zero tolerance for - any time of the day or night.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">