• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hangtags in NJ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kymom

What is the name of your state? KY
My college age son was working in NJ this summer and received a ticket for having his college parking hangtag hanging from his rearview mirror. The cop said it was obstruction of vision. How silly! To contest it, he was given a court date in Sept. It is an 11 hour drive to Newton, NJ for him from Richmond, KY where he attends school. He filled out an affidavit and sent it in. Of course, they found him guilty because it is an easy way to make money from an out of state visitor. Tell me the truth, don't schools and businesses in NJ use hangtags to designate parking areas? How about handicapped hangtags? I guess I am mad because it costs him half a week salary from his summer job there and it is a petty violation. What happens if he doesn't pay it?

Last edited:

CdwJava

These are common violations in most states. You are not permitted to have anything hanging from the rearview mirror that obstructs your vision. I can't say if it was reasonable in this situation or not, but it is what it is.

Since your son lost he has to pay the fine. Failure to pay the fine could result in both a warrant for his arrest and a suspension of his license - either one of which might effect is KY license status when NJ reports it to KY.

- Carl

kymom

I have never heard of such a violation in my state. I just left an IHOP and counted the number of cars with hangtags. Out of the 37 cars there, 15 had hangtags or air fresheners hanging from their mirror. I checked out the web page for several colleges/universities in NJ and found that they issue hangtags for their students and faculty. Does a policeman sit off campus and hand out tickets to these students? I don't think so. If it is illegal, why do they issue hangtags? My husband also checked with the NJ state police when my son received the ticket and was told that they (state police) NEVER issue tickets for hangtags. He was most helpful and told us how to go about sending in an affidavit. It was his opinion that it was merely a way for the small town to make money from out of state drivers. A warning would have been sufficient. My son took down his hangtag and left it down until he came home. Do you think he would have received a ticket if it had been a handicapped tag instead? They are much bigger than my son's parking hangtag. I doubt the cop would have isssued one because he would have been accused of discriminating against the handicapped. If you haven't ever hung something from your mirror before, I ask you to go buy an airfreshener. Then drive down the highway and tell me if it REALLY is an obstruction of your view/vision.

CdwJava

In my state we have to articulate that the hanging item obstructs the view. And our handicapped placards come with an admonition to hang when parked - NOT when moving.

While the state police or other officers might give warnings or ignore it, this does not mean that they have to. It still does not make the violation invalid.

If having a hanging obstruction is unlawful, then it is unlawful. It might be a way to make money, I don't know. In my state we wouldn't make enough money on the citation to even pay for the time writing the citation ... maybe local jurisdictions get more of the money in NJ.

In any event, if he doesn't pay it he can lose his driving priveledge in NJ and maybe in KY, could get an arrest warrant, and could get nasty calles from a collections agency.

His call.

- Carl

The Occultist

kymom said:
Do you think he would have received a ticket if it had been a handicapped tag instead? They are much bigger than my son's parking hangtag. I doubt the cop would have isssued one because he would have been accused of discriminating against the handicapped.
I see where you're coming from, I guess, but if the officer does consistently pull over everybody with something hanging from their rearview mirror, then it could not possibly be considered discriminating against the handicapped.

xylene

I want to see more people busted for those giant crucifix knit thingys that are like 16 inches across and blindingly pastel.

Dream catchers can stay. they are spiritual. :cool: Yeah shady.

Jerks with plate vaults need a little working over in the form of a citation.
"I want to protect my plate from rust. That's why it's under limo-tinted plastic..." :cool:

Oh and motorcyles with the plate hung verticaly. Ahhh what the hotel makes you think that public cares that your BLATANT attempt to conceal your identity while you speed, stunt and do whatever other LAMENESS that motorcyclists do is outweighed by the need for ""your bikes styling" to be preserved.

Stunters are just lame

Loud pipes are lame

Obstructed windshield tickets from NJ are SEMI-LAME, but like the things above, it is very unlikely that much will be done about them.

NJ police - "Well since we are under court order not to meet out racially based summary justice, lets just be pedantic to out of staters."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">