• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Have a parking ticket, but wrong license plate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hadenough06

What is the name of your state? VA

Hello
Hope someone can help. I recieved a parking ticket final notice from a city I have never been to. It had my previous plate number on it, but I have had my present plates since August 05. Now, either some sort of glitch has happened, or my ex did something. So my question, if I have had these personalized plates from august, how can my old plates still be valid? I know it is a weird situation, but I was shocked to get a ticket from some place I have never been to. Help if you can. I think I am asking if I send them a copy of my current registration that has my present plates on it with the day they were issued, would it help me not have to pay a ticket that I did not do? And no, I didn't loan my car out to anyone, like I write if this is for real, someone is in major trouble.

seniorjudge

hadenough06 said:
What is the name of your state? VA

Hello
Hope someone can help. I recieved a parking ticket final notice from a city I have never been to. It had my previous plate number on it, but I have had my present plates since August 05. Now, either some sort of glitch has happened, or my ex did something. So my question, if I have had these personalized plates from august, how can my old plates still be valid? I know it is a weird situation, but I was shocked to get a ticket from some place I have never been to. Help if you can. I think I am asking if I send them a copy of my current registration that has my present plates on it with the day they were issued, would it help me not have to pay a ticket that I did not do? And no, I didn't loan my car out to anyone, like I write if this is for real, someone is in major trouble.
This happens frequently. It could be cheaper to pay it than to go through all the hassle of trying to prove a negative (i.e., I wasn't there that day).

But, in any event, you must take care of it one way or the other. Don't just ignore it.

hadenough06

Well,
Just got off the phone from Arlington Va about the ticket. My old license plate was re issued to someone else with a toyota-but I have a dodge. Somehow when plate was run, skipped over this guy and came back to me because it used to be my plate. So now the guy with Toyota has a nice parking ticket as well as a late fee. And I would never pay for something I didn't do. I knew I had paperwork to prove I was nowhere near this place. The scary thing is the lady said she once had a guy who lived in VA but moved to Florida and years later got a parking ticket with his old vanity plate that was in his garage from Va years after leaving. So that vanity plate was re issued obvoisly years later and he ended up sending a picture of his old vanity plate at his house in Florida to prove it wasn't him. Thank you though Seniorjudge.

seniorjudge

hadenough06 said:
Well,
Just got off the phone from Arlington Va about the ticket. My old license plate was re issued to someone else with a toyota-but I have a dodge. Somehow when plate was run, skipped over this guy and came back to me because it used to be my plate. So now the guy with Toyota has a nice parking ticket as well as a late fee. And I would never pay for something I didn't do. I knew I had paperwork to prove I was nowhere near this place. The scary thing is the lady said she once had a guy who lived in VA but moved to Florida and years later got a parking ticket with his old vanity plate that was in his garage from Va years after leaving. So that vanity plate was re issued obvoisly years later and he ended up sending a picture of his old vanity plate at his house in Florida to prove it wasn't him. Thank you though Seniorjudge.
They recycle tag numbers?

Now THAT is scary!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">